Freestyle - Gear selector shaft

250buggys

I was never that happy with the gear selector on my Freestyle. It was made up from welded bar and pieces of tube put together in sections which made for awkward sloppy gear changes and where it was welded the stresses were focused and caused premature failure.

I took some measurements and designed one in Inventor out of a single piece of bar. Attached is a drawing in case anyone else needs one producing in the future.

The single piece of bar makes for a better precise change and the bends clear the sump and pokes into the chassis hole where the tunnel is as standard without fouling.

Gear Selector.JPG

Phaeton

Staff member
Chris, Did you turn the change mechanism back round when you did this, that also improves it & gives you an automatic reverse switch.

250buggys

Chris, Did you turn the change mechanism back round when you did this, that also improves it & gives you an automatic reverse switch.
Yes :) reverse light all working. Makes a huge difference.

As the 1275 is not that quick you need to be able to change up and down fast at junctions to not lose momentum. A missed gear or slow engaging is really annoying. Just shows how good modern gear box and linkages really are.