ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap Discussion Thread

ChaosMS

250buggys":zne4e3ow said:
Hi Rich, looking good as always. I see you got some of those LED head lights the same as mine. They are a really good upgrade. Also I like the way you have connected the fuel pump to the filter, that looks really neat. :) :)

Cheers, yeah those headlights look the business - Ive not switched em on yet so fingers crossed they are ok!! - fuel pump to filter connector was a lucky find to be honest i didnt think they did that kind of connector but they did so alls good - they are neat way to link the two - only time will tell if it works!!

250buggys

Did you connect the indicators in as the DRL halo goes off and the orange hallo flashes. I haven't connected mine up yet but I might do. Have to run another wire in on each side. There is a fair chunk of alloy heat sink and gets pretty hot, I get a little condensation on the inside of the lens, probably now it's a bit cooler weather.

If you get a mo can you pls send me the link for the fuel filter connections. I have just connected mine with hose but yours looks much better. I have the same filter bracket as you also.

ChaosMS

Hi 250buggys - no not connected the DRL or indicator yet but im going to so i can loose the tiny motocyle indicators!! - i should have enough spare lines when i remove the indicator to re-purpose both cables to the indicator one for signal to the indicator and use the negative line re-purposed as the DRL line - I ran a multicore cable to the front to feed all the lights so just need to re-pin in the dashboard and i should be good.

As for the fuel system connectors both the pump and filter came with AN10 pump to filter male connectors so the female twin ended connector to join them was from Torques:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-10-AN10-Female-to-Female-Adapter-Fitting-BLACK/170862767056

I get all the alloy AN fittings and PTFE lined fuel and oil hose from them their ebay shop is here:https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Torques-U-K

The rest of the angle hose fittings are all AN8 for fuel feed and AN6 for fuel return - all the oil fittings are AN10 (oil cooler / thermostatic valve / sandwich plate / remote oil filter housing)

Phaeton

Staff member
Are the headlights E marked? IVA compliant? I have some Dominator ones which have caused problems for some people at some test centres, but not others

250buggys

ChaosMS":wb1rlqxx said:
Hi 250buggys - no not connected the DRL or indicator yet but im going to so i can loose the tiny motocyle indicators!! - i should have enough spare lines when i remove the indicator to re-purpose both cables to the indicator one for signal to the indicator and use the negative line re-purposed as the DRL line - I ran a multicore cable to the front to feed all the lights so just need to re-pin in the dashboard and i should be good.

As for the fuel system connectors both the pump and filter came with AN10 pump to filter male connectors so the female twin ended connector to join them was from Torques:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-10-AN10-Female-to-Female-Adapter-Fitting-BLACK/170862767056

I get all the alloy AN fittings and PTFE lined fuel and oil hose from them their ebay shop is here:https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Torques-U-K

The rest of the angle hose fittings are all AN8 for fuel feed and AN6 for fuel return - all the oil fittings are AN10 (oil cooler / thermostatic valve / sandwich plate / remote oil filter housing)

Thanks that female to female may save me some space.

250buggys

Phaeton":33c02ekd said:
Are the headlights E marked? IVA compliant? I have some Dominator ones which have caused problems for some people at some test centres, but not others

It's not the e mark you need to worry about. Read the bit in the IVA manual about zennon projectors and LED headlights being self leveling and they have to have a wash system fitted.

Forgot that use halogen lights and LED fit post IVA, it's not an MOT requirement.

ChaosMS

hi Wagon, yeah slowly getting there - a bit more plumbing required before i can do a engine test - then ill find out how much of a mess ive made of the loom!!

Phaeton

Staff member
Nice to see you're still at it Rich, although I have built a full car & IVA'd it in 1/4 of the time it's taken you so far 😂🤣😂🤣 although we will not mention the difference in standards

ChaosMS

ha ha yeah Alan I know, its taken ages! - I am hoping to wire the engine up enough this weekend to turn it over do a compression test (lets hope so anyway)

ChaosMS

Ha ha yeah to be honest Wagon ive been messing with the loom and trying to sort locations out for the bits of the loom im keeping and also fixing all the bodges the previous owner of the engine has done on the loom!!

Ive just about sorted it now and pretty well sorted where most of it is going to go so need to order to automotive thin wall cable to extend the loom out plus a couple of big connectors!!

Phaeton

Staff member
Absolutely awesome as usual Rich, attention to details is amazing, do we get a commitment to get to Stoneleigh one year & prove this is real & not just a Pixar production

ChaosMS

Absolutely awesome as usual Rich, attention to details is amazing, do we get a commitment to get to Stoneleigh one year & prove this is real & not just a Pixar production
Hi Alan, ha ha ha yeah I think even Pixar would of finished by now!! - I am aiming to have the buggy running ready for the last of my local car shows which is September, so the buggy is full stripped and is being collected today for powder coating and whilst its away (for approx 1 week) I have to service the engine clean it and paint and fir the new clutch - so no pressure :)

looks ace
Cheers Danny - wait till you see it fully powder coated :)

Ive also decided to paint the alloy treadplate that im using for the floor - I'm going to try that Raptor textured black two pack paint and see if that works ok, its supposed to be pretty good stuff

Anyway Ill post some more pics soon

Rich

250buggys

Hi Alan, ha ha ha yeah I think even Pixar would of finished by now!! - I am aiming to have the buggy running ready for the last of my local car shows which is September, so the buggy is full stripped and is being collected today for powder coating and whilst its away (for approx 1 week) I have to service the engine clean it and paint and fir the new clutch - so no pressure :)

Cheers Danny - wait till you see it fully powder coated :)

Ive also decided to paint the alloy treadplate that im using for the floor - I'm going to try that Raptor textured black two pack paint and see if that works ok, its supposed to be pretty good stuff

Anyway Ill post some more pics soon

Rich
Good work Rich :)

Alistair (Wagon) recommended the upol raptor to me so that is what I painted my freestyle in. They use it for truck bed liner. Really good stuff. Defo go for it. Did all the underneath, box section and foot well, really good protection for the metal against corrosion and looks pretty good too.

Chris

ChaosMS

Good work Rich :)

Alistair (Wagon) recommended the upol raptor to me so that is what I painted my freestyle in. They use it for truck bed liner. Really good stuff. Defo go for it. Did all the underneath, box section and foot well, really good protection for the metal against corrosion and looks pretty good too.

Chris

Cheers Chris,

I have taken the plunge with the Raptor and ordered the kit that comes with the spray gun too - looks like Ill need to acid etch the alloy floors first before painting so will let you know how it goes!

Buggy got picked up in a massive covered trailer the other day and went straight into the ovens for heat stripping - I have to pop over to the workshop at some point prior to coating to put a dab of weld in all the 3mm holes I had to drill to stop the frame from popping!!

Exciting times :)

Rich