The kit with No Name shall be known as Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaeton

Staff member
In a slight turn of events, I've put Harry up for sale on Faecesbook, I've run out of steam, I think if I had a garage I'd put him in the back of it & go back to him this coming winter, but as I don't he's going, we'll see if he gets picked up.

Phaeton

Staff member
With the change of plans there was further progression, my last 2 kits passed without issue only using the repeaters built into the mirror, however one failed at Derby a few weeks ago because the examiner said he couldn't see them, that they weren't bright enough from the rear & wanted another set adding. So today was fulfilling that requirement even though if I get a different examiner it might not even be an issue Arrrrrgh this is one of the reasons not to continue, it should be a standard test without each examiners own interpretation

My only concern now is I should have not wired the mirrors up as well, as he/they may suggest I'll remove the indicators after the test!

20230422_160723.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
DVLA emailed me yesterday asking for photo evidence & invoices for the build along with an IVA 4 Self build declaration form, all which I am sure were attached to the online forms, they did exactly the same last time so I wonder if it's standard just to ensure you are who you say you are?

Anyway all returned to them so hopefully I'll get a call next week to sort out an IVA date (if I'm lucky)

Phaeton

Staff member
Arch day, been putting it off but it wasn't as bad as I expected they have changed the design slightly so it's a bit easier.

20230529_100315.jpg

20230529_100321.jpg

20230529_100351.jpg

20230529_100609.jpg

20230529_145308.jpg

20230529_145320.jpg

Do have a bit of a problem though when the hazards are on the indicators hardly flash, but with engine running all is fine, hopefully just a low battery

Phaeton

Staff member
So I think he's just about ready, put the manufacturer plate on today, needs harness's putting in but want to leave them until the night before so they don't get too wet. Taking him to be aligned in the morning, place is only 1 mile away, so the question is dare I drive it there, no plates, no insurance 😂 so do I A-Frame it.

20230621_160003.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
Drove him down to get aligned only a mile away, don't see any Police so it was good, all my guessimates where good apart from the front tracking, so that was adjusted. Had a small misfire or rather a slight hesitation around 2.5k might be that he hasn't been run, but I did find a loose clamp between the MAF & the throttle body so it may have been pulling in some unmetered air.

Went to fit the harnesses & glad I did as they have come with the wrong clips on the end, they have the clip on ones

20230622_184133.jpg

But I need ones like

Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 09.20.11.png
Ordered some from Demon tweaks, they should be here today only place I could find that would do a Saturday delivery.

Fetched the trailer I was going to borrow only to find I can't load the ramp is too steep & there's no way to get him on, but luckily I know of another which I'm fetching today after I've sorted it's brakes out!!

Phaeton

Staff member
Harnesses fitted, apart from headlight aim & emissions I think it's sorted, hopefully headlights he'll let me take a spanner to, emissions in the lap of the gods, it's an original Cat, but no idea if either Lambda work, but we'll find out

20230624_170306.jpg

20230624_170259.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
So the day started early, woke up at 5:45, got out of bed & switched the 6am alarm off, had a quick half of coffee & got on my way, when I looked the other day it was saying 1.5 hours & with morning rush hour I wanted to have plenty of time. I'd also decided not to go fill up the kit & the Shogun last night as it Shogun doesn't do much more that 20 to the gallon & it's a 10 mile round trip for fuel, so wasting 1/2 gallon.

As it turns out it was a very good decision, anyway, went & got fuel & got on my way, but from door to car park it was just under 1 hour 20 minutes which meant I had 40 minutes to kill before the appointment, but rather be early than rushing

20230627_071941.jpg

Waited until 10 to, unloaded & drove over to the door with a big SVA above it.

20230627_074925.jpg

I was then still hanging around waiting for somebody to turn up, eventually around 8:15 this guy starts heading towards Harry so I goes over to introduce myself, the tester introduces himself as Craig, but he's not my tester, my tester is still stuck on the M1 behind an overturned lorry & he's not expected to arrive for at least another hour, or even hour & a half. But the car that Craig is waiting for also hasn't turned up, so he said what he was going to do was wait until 8:30 & if his car hadn't turned up by then he'd ring up his boss & ask if he could test Harry & if the other guy did turn up he could wait for the other tester. At 8:40 the other car did turn up, so Craig started to test that one, a nice Cobra, no idea which kit though.

At 9:45 my tester Ian turned up, he was the same guy who tested Melvin, anyway all was good until the brake test the nearside calliper was low on effort, but would then lock up which when he put the numbers into the computer did pass but it needs 18% on the handbrake & only had 16.9% so I fail which is fair enough, (already ordered a new pair of callipers).

There is also a strange electrical issue that when the engine is running the hazards work fine, but when just on battery the rear lights are dim, I had this before & thought it was just the battery, but now I think it's the draw through the resistor I've put in. But I have too many indicators, so for the re-test I'm going to disconnect the ones in the mirrors.

At the end of the day it's a fail, an annoying fail really, but it's an easy fix.

Phaeton

Staff member
So the drama continues, ordered a new pair of callipers which arrived Friday, opened the box up yesterday to fit them to find they have sent 2 odd callipers, they are both branded Febi, they are in Febi boxes, but it is clear they have been made in different factories, the castings are different, they are a different colour, one came with sliders the other didn't FFS!!

I decided not to fit them & checked over the originals again, they seem okay, will go to the local garage in the morning & see if I can get 15 minutes on the rollers to test.

Phaeton

Staff member
Monday came & went down to the garage, the brakes were okayish bit not right, I clearly had some air in there although I'd spent ages getting it out, chased up the calliper supplier who had handed it to the warehouse, they didn't want to send any more out just in case they were wrong as well. Waited until Tuesday & they still had no answer, advised I wanted a refund & I would order elsewhere. Ordered another pair from somebody with stock only to find that after ordering & paying for them they came back saying the stock level was wrong & they didn't have any!!!!

Yesterday we had a funeral but before going I got confirmation from yet another company saying they had stock & could ship on 24 hour Royal Mail, lot more expensive but if they arrive, which to be fair they did today, went out & fitted them all seemed good but again I was struggling to bleed them, but thought I'd finally managed it, just as I was about to drop it off the jack I don't know what made me do it I put my hand up to the t-piece for the rear brakes & lo & behold it was slightly damp with brake fluid. Luckily it was fairly easy to get a spanner to so nipped it up, didn't go much but it did go. I think I need to have one more bleeding session as I was drawing fluid out of the calliper which means I could have been pulling air into the system at that point.

20230706_183443.jpg

20230706_183637.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
I feel like Mr Chamberlain again, "In my hand I have a piece of paper"

Early start again to go back down to Derby, you never know the traffic so arrived over 30 minutes early, saw the door start to go up & drove over, checked chassis numbers again, checked all the lights, one of the fails was poor rear indicator performance when the engine wasn't running, it was down to too many lights going through the relay. All good so drove it through the brake tester, I jumped out, he jumped in, he tested fronts, tested rears, tested handbrake, said "That's much much better, load it up I'll bring your paperwork out" Sure it was less than 15 minutes.

Don't care, it's through, need to swat up on the registration now.

Phaeton

Staff member
DVLA have confirmed they have my paperwork & it has been allocated to somebody, what are the chances they will get me the docs before Friday so I can drive it to Newark?

Phaeton

Staff member
Harry sold, on his way to his new owner one day next week, once the weather breaks he wants to drive back to Bolton with it.

Phaeton

Staff member
Due to the weather Harry didn't make his way to his new home, so in the end I took him over on the trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.