Alans rear disc conversion phase II

JAMIE B.

I was quite impressed with Alans (phaetons) rear disc conversion, so I decided to adopt his idea and add some tweeks of my own.

The calipers used are Mk2 Golf rears, there are 2 kinds of calipers, early ones and late ones fitted to the Golf Mk2. I cant remember which are which but Ive opted for the opposite ones to Alan because the handbrake cable lugs are cast (one piece caliper). Another thing to note is these 2 kinds of caliper each have their own style of handbrake cable (different where it goes on to the caliper).

Ive opted to move the holes on the mini front hubs 6mm inwards (so all the golf pad comes into contact with the disc) and have a face machined on the hub (on the disc side) until the calipers lugs are 10mm thick so the calipers sit on the opposite side of the lugs as before.

So to cut a long story short, I made jigs to mount my hubs and then sent them to my local engineering shop to be milled down. 3 hours later you can see the results in the pictures I have posted.

The only down side I can see to this conversion is the calipers are mounted upside down which makes bleeding a pain in the ass. But the benefits greatly out weigh the disadvantages.

The golf hanbrake cables can be made to fit the buggy perfectly, I have chosen to run them round the gearbox bolted to the underside of the subframe, out at the rear, then loop round and then pass between the upper ball joint and the top arm into the caliper.

Brake hoses, you have 2 options here, you can either have custom hoses made ideally with a 10mm banjo fitting on one end or you can run a copper brake pipe from the caliper to a small fabricated bracket bolted to the caliper joining to the brake hose.

Disclaimer: Please do not modify your brakes if you do not feel competent or you cannot find a machine shop to modify your hubs. Messing with brakes is dangerous stuff !!!

Anyway thats covered my arse, here's the photos

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 10,216

Phaeton

Staff member
That's the dog's Jamie just like the rest of the buggy, on the way you have moved the carrier down the hub, are they steel inserts pressed into the cast? Also are you still having ti run 2mm spacers on the hub rear?

Alan...

JAMIE B.

Phaeton":282bs8i2 said:
That's the dog's Jamie just like the rest of the buggy, on the way you have moved the carrier down the hub, are they steel inserts pressed into the cast? Also are you still having ti run 2mm spacers on the hub rear?

Alan...

Hi Alan, they are cast inserts into the cast hubs, just a bit of cast bar turned down in the lathe.

No spacers required !

Mini Mad Max

Would you be able to do some for other buggy owners if we send the parts and some monies? Because they look mint! ;)
Thanks,
Max

JAMIE B.

Mini Mad Max":1p9kbwl2 said:
Would you be able to do some for other buggy owners if we send the parts and some monies? Because they look mint! ;)
Thanks,
Max

Much as I'd like to, I'm afraid I would have to decline, given its brakes we are talking about, I don't fancy getting sued for millions if something went wrong with someone elses car with parts I had supplied. :eek:

Although having said that, there is enough information here to have the hubs modifyed yourself, the rest is straight forward bolt on !  ;)

Sorry Max, hope you understand

Cheers Jamie

Mini Mad Max

It's alright jamie, I understand. If i do do the conversion, you may have to put up with some consulting from me ;D You've done a very good job!
Max

Lime&Orange

Whats the weight difference between this and drum?

Also, how do you turn down the brakes?

By that I mean with the drums you can dial them so that you have less braking on the back rather than similar (or even more) than the front.

Thanks