Am I just making scrap metal

Phaeton

Staff member
As I seem to have plenty of time on my hands at the moment, when the wife leaves me alone, not what you're thinking lads, old man like me doesn't get up to those sort of things anymore. She makes me tidy the garden & do housework!!!

Anyway I managed to escape to the workshop for a bit of peace & quiet. Thought I might as well see if I can get a K in an A subframe.

So drops the engine into the frame

DSC00469.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

It doesn't fit by a long way, so first cut.

DSC00470.jpg

Then the other side

DSC00472.jpg

Then the back

DSC00473.jpg

Then some more off each side

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

In the end it's a lot closer, but still needs to go further back & also lower down, had to take off the alternator & will have to re-bracket that somewhere else or get a smaller one. Also had to take off the oil filter, will have to use a remote one, but all in all it's not going to be as easy as I first thought, it is only a small frame it has to fit into.

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00479.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

DSC00477.jpg

Alan...

jason_l

Well done Alan, its looking great, or at least getting there. Does look like you have cu loads out of the subframe though!  :eek:

Its always good to do something different and have something a bit crazy, i know the freestyle is pretty much that but makes it even more special to have something completely different.  ;)

Mine is off to the garage this weekend to have the Starlet engine fitted, can't wait  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":8srphng7 said:
Does look like you have cu loads out of the subframe though!

Lots more to be cut away yet I reckon, next will be the bottom of the towers to let the whole thing go further backwards & down. Also have to make up new brackets for the bottom arms so I can just use a normal bolt & not the curved special ones currently  in there. Along the lines of this one

Maybe not quite as drastic

Will want to see lots of pictures once they start to cut yours away to get the Toyota in.

If I had enough design skills, I would consider doing away with the Mini subframe altogether & build a new frame with wishbones & coilovers.

Alan..

Danny

Administrator
Hmmm looking good but not much use if we cant get chassis built!

Had a lot of emails regarding buying a freestyle

Danny

jason_l

Phaeton":yh7sm327 said:
jason_l":yh7sm327 said:

Lots more to be cut away yet I reckon, next will be the bottom of the towers to let the whole thing go further backwards & down. Also have to make up new brackets for the bottom arms so I can just use a normal bolt & not the curved special ones currently  in there. Along the lines of this one

Will want to see lots of pictures once they start to cut yours away to get the Toyota in.

If I had enough design skills, I would consider doing away with the Mini subframe altogether & build a new frame with wishbones & coilovers.

Alan..

I have seen a few starlet/mini subframes and they don't look too bad but we will see! Im leaving them with a digi camera and card and telling them to take as many pictures as they can! although i know they will probably just build the thing pretty quick as i know they are keen to get it done as they want to take it to a HUGE japanese car show in September  ::)

Angel Boy

Phaeton":lnli7gw2 said:
jason_l":lnli7gw2 said:

Alan..

Alan,
Was thinking that the amount of metal being cut away, how much strength is left in the subframe and would it not be easier/piece of mind to make an engine cradle specific for the engine/chasis?  Not had chance to check you linky out as I'm sat in Aberdeen airport at the mo waiting for my delayed flight to be called.  Wouldn't want the engine to drop out on you cause the subframe had been weakened that's all.

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
I think the next thing to do is put some strength back in, a brace across the back between the turrets & then some side ones from turret tops to the front. Then cut the bottom rails out completely & make some more to try to put the strength back.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":37kxvxmu said:
I think the next thing to do is put some strength back in, a brace across the back between the turrets & then some side ones from turret tops to the front. Then cut the bottom rails out completely & make some more to try to put the strength back.

Alan...

I think what your doing is right Alan. Makes sense to cut lots away and get the engine sitting correctly and then weld/add bits in to strengthen it all up again when you know where the engine will be and you can make the strengthen pieces fit around the engine!

It just looks really drastic when you see it at this stage!  :D

Jason :p

HolyCount

Danny":1a1dwwwo said:
Hmmm looking good but not much use if we cant get chassis built!

Had a lot of emails regarding buying a freestyle

Danny

Hopefully Dave will settle down and the enthusiasm will re-kindle

iank

Phaeton":i1137p4k said:

Alan...

I think you're going to have to make a jig to keep the tower top's and front beam/tie rod mounts in the right place with all the cutting weakening it.
Be especially careful of welding distortion twisting the frame if you aren't making the jig.
Tower brace is an excellent idea, the thin rod on the freestyle isn't man enough for the job on a subframe that's been chopped at the back.

Phaeton

Staff member
iank":m94rvpkt said:
I think you're going to have to make a jig to keep the tower top's and front beam/tie rod mounts in the right place with all the cutting weakening it.

I hear what you are saying Ian, I almost made a jig before taking out the angle grinder. Just seemed a lot of work & slightly more importantly money for the steel as I intend to only make one. If I was going to make several then it would have been different.

This guy made one to hold the subframe & then made one to hold the engine then welded a a few bars in & had one made in a couple of hours!!!

Alan...