CAD or whatever it's called

Phaeton

Staff member
Is anyone any good at doing the drawing on the screen as I ain't, I want drawings to make a set of

https://www.g19engineering.com/view.php?cat=91&ViewProduct=203&page=1 I think the price of £163 + postage making £170 is too expensive for 4 of these.

I'm hoping if I can do a hand drawing that somebody can then make into the CAD files (not sure of the format) hopefully you will know I'll then get multiple sets cut for others to weld together themselves & keep a set myself. Not sure if there will be any money in it but I will split the profit on any made with you.

250buggys

Hi Alan

I have AutoCAD and Inventor software but I recon those 4 parts are probably reasonably priced reasons being.

We make a lot of parts at work out of steel and the raw materials in the last year have doubled in cost if you can get hold of them.

There is a fair bit of fabrication involved there with the welding alone etc not to mention measuring it accurately, making a model, tweaking it, printing off the drawings and going out for quotation and then producing it. Everywhere seems to be really busy, the chap I found at my local machine shop who is modifying my hubs said no problem with doing the work but come back in 2 weeks.

I recon if they are in stock you should probably just go for it, I know you wont like that, sorry....

Chris :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Interesting answer Chris, all I'm going on was when I did some pedal boxes, in that instance I gave them a blank, they measured it all up, produced the drawings (I assume) shoved it in the machine & cut me 20 (I think) granted this was a loooong time ago.

But what I remember from then was if I wanted 1 set the price was expensive but the more I bought the cheaper each additional one became as the expensive bit was the setup etc. I really can't remember the costs, but for instance the first cost £50 then each one afterwards cost £5

I think these are the same, although a reasonable price for a finished item, (although you still have to paint/powder coat them), there is the labour costs of the welding & the product liability if anything went wrong, along with the profit.

Maybe I'm more out of touch than I think & the costs have rocketed more than I know, just like Manuel says "I know nothing" but I would like to think I could sell blanks for these at half that price & still make money, although that is not the driving factor.

So if you want to humour an old duffer if you have 15 minutes spare can you produce a file I'd be grateful.

IMG_20220402_141428_248.jpg

250buggys

Hi Alan more than happy to knock you up a drawing and the associated file to send to the machine shop.

Worth getting a quote from this chap.

He has a website too. Made my brackets for the Elise calipers on the Sierra hubs I knocked up in Inventor. :)

Phaeton

Staff member
If you could Chris that would be great, we have a local firm who did the last lot I was going to call round & see him once I have a file, I was also watching Youtube the other night 'New Yorkshire Workshop' he does some interesting stuff he used https://fractory.com/ Looks like it's a hub where you upload your stuff & then they give you a price, not sure if there are multiple who do the same & they bid for your work etc.

250buggys

Hi Alan
That looks like a simple spacer shim you require similar to the offset shim I have for the Sierra hubs, can knock that up pretty quickly (unless Rich beats me to it :) have been waiting for him to chime in :) )

The link you sent over looks more like an assembly and mentions high tensile steel .

I'll leave you to do the loading calcs and work out what grade of steel you need. Inventor has FEA which can model the loads etc but that wont be necessary. :)

Screenshot_2022-04-02-16-56-31.png

250buggys

Interesting answer Chris, all I'm going on was when I did some pedal boxes, in that instance I gave them a blank, they measured it all up, produced the drawings (I assume) shoved it in the machine & cut me 20 (I think) granted this was a loooong time ago.

But what I remember from then was if I wanted 1 set the price was expensive but the more I bought the cheaper each additional one became as the expensive bit was the setup etc. I really can't remember the costs, but for instance the first cost £50 then each one afterwards cost £5

I think these are the same, although a reasonable price for a finished item, (although you still have to paint/powder coat them), there is the labour costs of the welding & the product liability if anything went wrong, along with the profit.

Maybe I'm more out of touch than I think & the costs have rocketed more than I know, just like Manuel says "I know nothing" but I would like to think I could sell blanks for these at half that price & still make money, although that is not the driving factor.

So if you want to humour an old duffer if you have 15 minutes spare can you produce a file I'd be grateful.

View attachment 1674
Hi Alan you gave 105mm height but not width I went with 140mm wide, hope this is OK? let me know f not and we can re-jig it. It should give you enough to give you room for a bead of weld around the studs etc.

Alan Part.JPG

Alan Part 1.JPG

Part 3.JPG

Alan Part2.JPG

I can dimension up the part and send you over a pdf of the drawing but TBH you don't need it, just send the machine shop the step file which I will email over to you now.

Phaeton

Staff member
Thank Chris exactly what I was after, the ones that are for sale don't weld past the studs, they just weld along the outside edges, logical all the weight/forces are pushing upwards into the frame of the kit, not sure there is any shearing forces. They are only 30 & 40mm wide when finished so using 5mm steel top & bottom means using 20 & 30mm flat bar in the middle.

ChaosMS

HA ha ha ha i missed all the CAD stuff darn it!!!! - Ive just submitted the final set of parts for laser cutting and thats also gone up a lot too!!
Looking good though Chris, I moved back over from Fusion 360 back to Solidworks (the new maker edition) - much happier now :)

Phaeton

Staff member
It's not going anywhere Rich, I put a post on the Exocet FB group & got no interest at all, they seem to be happy to pay £170 for a set already made, then they can spend hours agonising over what colour to have them powder coated. They are a different breed of kit car builder from what I can see, they are not into fabrication.

I think I'm going to have a go at manually cutting them out, get a 85mm hole cutter & the angry grinder not ideal, but expensive to only have 8 cut instead of 64.

ChaosMS

Hey Alan, - yeah I know what you mean, half the fun in Kits is fabrication!! they dont know what they are missing mate, I would say a hole saw and the angry grinder will get the job done, you could possibly get the rough shape plasma cut which would save a little time and effort, and most fab shops have them to hand.

The quote for laser cutting came back the other day and its up roughly 50% on last time due to the cost of steel and also the cost of the gas they use as a shield for cutting i would say, not a lot i could do as wanted the accuracy as they are final suspension parts for the front end.

250buggys

Hey Alan, - yeah I know what you mean, half the fun in Kits is fabrication!! they dont know what they are missing mate, I would say a hole saw and the angry grinder will get the job done, you could possibly get the rough shape plasma cut which would save a little time and effort, and most fab shops have them to hand.

The quote for laser cutting came back the other day and its up roughly 50% on last time due to the cost of steel and also the cost of the gas they use as a shield for cutting i would say, not a lot i could do as wanted the accuracy as they are final suspension parts for the front end.
Hi Rich who do you use for your laser cutting?

Alan found Fractory, I need a couple of spacers knocking up. When I uploaded the drawing I thought it was too expensive for what I wanted but it defaulted to laser cutting rather than machining which I didn't expect.

ChaosMS

HI Chris, I use a company called A K Stainless just outside of Preston - good guys, just been there today to pick up my final batch of parts!