ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap Discussion Thread

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry Rich but the left hand outlet looks 2mm lower than the right, scrap it all & start again ;D ;D ;D

ChaosMS

ha ha to be honest it was a lot lower than that cos the tape holding the ends in place sagged!!!! :)
mmmmm gorilla tape... sticks everything to everything apart from the bits you want to stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

wagon_1.0

Wow you have done loads! This is looking significantly badass!! Loving it!

Tell me... You did mention who was helping you out with your shocks.... Who was it again?

ChaosMS

Yeah Damper tech helped out when the shock makers refused to help me with the springs - will probably need to get new springs due to the weight change so will need to borrow the corner scales again ;D

wagon_1.0

Nice, thanks.

Thinking about your turbo, might be worth considering a manifold for a GT28 etc for when you get bored with the stock one

ChaosMS

ha ha thats a beast of a turbo, looks like im going to offset the turbo and mount it just above the gearbox (there is a handy mounting lug I can use) that way i can run the exhaust pipework from one side and it should fit better. ill mock it up and see how it looks (and then post some pics here)

ChaosMS

Hi Wagon, yeah I did the 3d printing myself I bought a cheap chinese 3d printer ages ago and have upgraded and customised it so much that it does a half decent print now ;D

As for the name i dropped the ultralite thing ages ago as it was far from it before let alone now!! - maybe I should just called it The Tank!! ;D :D ;D :D

I do like the look of the 18's though ::) ;D

ChaosMS

Hey Wagon, cheers mate - I know what you mean about holdups, ive had to go back to the drawing board for the driveshafts not for the long side but for the short side!!

I have a question for you too, its about the DBW pedal - picture below
4184a840-e60e-42a8-9e41-262826f030b9.jpg

Pedal on the left is the Golf MK4 standard one from the donor car and the unit on the right came from an audi tt pedal assembly, both units use a potentiometer and effectively do the same job of passing the pedal posisiton back to the ecu, my question is this - is it possible to swap these over as the tt unit can be fitted quite easily to the existing pedal assembly but the golf one requires a majot change.
Both units have a 6 wire connector but none of the colours match, A while ago I heard of someone discussing this and I think someone worked out the mapping of one unit to the other - do you or any of your vw contacts know about this ??? any help greatly appreciated!!

If no info is avaialble I will just have to work it out ;D

Rich

Phaeton

Staff member
Jeez Rich the one on the right will make it difficult to keep your foot on it at full chat over the rough stuff

ChaosMS

Thanks Danny, its all tacked together at the moment and its a tight fit but should be ok, need to tack the mounting flange on the backboc properly but need to remove a couple of mounting tabs on the rear cage first (and then relocate the tabs so I can put the reverse and fog lights back on)

I should have the driveshafts back next week so they can go back in again - next job is to sort the flexi and final exhaust section onto the manifold then it can go for final tig welding and then I will clean it up and polish it!!

After that its back to getting the engine to turn over so plumbing and electrics