Chassis Weld Defects

Steves2580

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd share this with you!

I went to work in Mary on Saturday, parked her in the workshop and noticed a weld defect!
The horizontal bar that runs across the car, at head height, that has my rear view mirror attached. At each end it's welded to bars that run behind the windscreen up to the rear hoop!
The weld defect found is called "cold lapping", just have a look

So last night, I set to and ground back the welds, found plenty of surface rust under the welds, so that means it's been cracked a while :(
Wondering if anyone else has had issues or if its my fault for putting too many horses under my right foot :D

It's all now re-welded and painted ;)

Steve ;D

ChaosMS

I'm glad you've got it sorted mate - i was concerned Mary was cracking up from all the right foot action :)

Mini Mad Max

Oh god!! Have you checked over most of the buggy to see if there are any more like that?! I hope Mary can still handle the power :) Perhaps it's not all down to power though... could it be the way you approach speed bumps perhaps? ;)
Max

Steves2580

I like speed humps ;D

I'm taking her to work again on Saturday, weather permitting, I'll have a good scout round!!

There was another weld that looked a little suspect, so I ground that away and re-welded it, just to be on the safe side ;)

I wonder if there is any speed humps at Stoneleigh, I'm sure Jason would like to see my speed hump approach :D

Steve ;D