Danny's K Series Conversion Project

Danny

Administrator
Well today I managed to get a few hours in the garage and I finally got the buggy running!!! It was smokey as hell at first which made my heart skip a beat but I figure it is because I have changed a load of stuff that the ECU was working stuff out :D

I then also found one more problem... My battery isolator switch has gone rogue and so I have ordered another one and that should arrive for me to fit at the weekend then it is a case of just putting everything back together and cleaning up and hopefully I should be ready for stoneleigh :D

Danny

Administrator
I managed to get quite a bit done today...

I replaced the battery cut off switch and then looked at putting it all back together.

I have always had my engine bay fuses above the engine but it is quite annoying so I decided to move it and have made a new bracket and put the fuses above the ecu so that clears that space up and makes things a little tidier...

I did also have another gremlin... my fuel pump would not fire but I moved a connector and all is good again so I need to look into that a bit more.

With all that being said I think my hesitation fault may have been that broken wire i found in the past...

Anyway hopefully 2020 will be the year that the buggy makes it too and from wales without any problems ;-)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
RIght we have finished!!!

All ready for stoneleigh :D just cleaning left to do now :D

SHe runs and sounds quit fruity as well :D

I am going to use her a litttle more next year I think :D

Danny

Administrator
Yeah I am going to get her out of the shed soon.....
972b79a765df45524a4bb790d8ff5d45.jpg

ChaosMS

Like Wagon said - video needed Danny!! - Looking awesome as usual though I have to say thats very neat and organised in that shed!!!!!!

Phaeton

Staff member
NOT THAT VIDEO!!!!! You know what happened the last time you sent that one around she wasn't very happy

Danny

Administrator
ChaosMS":36930ho1 said:
Like Wagon said - video needed Danny!! - Looking awesome as usual though I have to say thats very neat and organised in that shed!!!!!!
I will get a video up :)

I am quite confident we have solved the hesitation as the more i think about it it was that dodgy wire...

Going to take her to goodwood in a few weeks for breakfast meet...

Yup shed is organised... full of spares for both the buggy and the mojo.... i start building another shed for all my bee equipment as that has escalated quickly...

Been levelling a veg patch today so I can get the buggy out easier...
42895a7b48cf1927a2b62d253e298e2f.jpg
7fd84837fffd13830987be4b2106e9ea.jpg
8cf5fd6e4c899c7d10827e51bb200038.jpg

Danny

Administrator
I got to the garage yesterday with the aim to get the exhaust finished and all was going well... chopped it all up so that I could tack it all.

Well I thought half way through welding it that I would double check... for the life of me I could not get it all back together so I decided to scrap that idea and go about it a bit different.

I have re ordered a couple of bends and couple of clamp on flexi hoses.

I am going for clamp on flexi pipes because I know that when these pipes are pants and so when it comes to changing them it should be easier. Also it allows me to rejig things about.

Well that was yesterday...

Today I decided to crack on and get the fuel tank our so I can assess what is going on in the front. Also so i cam mount my wiring module on that panel.

I have also established that I need to remove the steering wheel to get in and out of car so I need to look for one of those...

Things are slow... but I want to try and do them right first time ;-)
83cb9887dd1160ab93a52054b7551680.jpg
706494089810e48e7c8eb897f377341d.jpg
06686647ff7f0c378a24a91fbcf0c61d.jpg
c0a472627f983cd84b0ff4f69490501b.jpg

Danny

Administrator
Right Todays job was working on the Buggy....

On my return from goodwood I sprung a little water leak.

The metal pipe that goes to teh fuel pump/thermostat housing was leaking so I ordered a stainless one and some hoses.

When I finally stripped the buggy down so I could get to it I was genuinly shocked ayt how badly rusted the this pipe was and also that the main rad hose was not even clamped down.

Wellll

Phaeton sent me a new housing and thermostat and on inspection it was missing the joggle hole so i drilled a new one and went about fitting it all back toegther...

I slightly sketchy thread in the engine block meant i now needed to ohone a friend with atap and die set to come help repair some threads... took 2 hours of teasing but we managed to save the threads and get it all fitted...

Tomorrows job si finish rebuilding it and get some water in it and warmed up and prey that there ar no more leaks"!!!

Danny

Administrator
Well...

I ran the buggy up to temperature and got the air locks out and all was fine... then stopped engine and restrted and I heard the alternator belt squeel... Oh joy....

Well the reason why it squealed was beacuse the adjuster bolt had snapped in the block once again!!!

So a quick call to a friend and we were using easy outs to get the rest of the bolt out... while we were doing this my friend noticed I was missing a bolt in the bottom colilver and soon realised that this had also snapped... ffs!!!

Oh and a massive blowtorch helped :D

Well I have ordered a new tensioner kit and to be honest the design is flawed and I know that this snapping will happen again soon... So I am going to design another bracket that moves the forces away from the shearing the bolt...

As always there is a little boit of a panic for stoneleigh... oh I am still not in my new house yet :-\

Last edited:

Danny

Administrator
The Sheared bolt
20210814_120144.jpg

My heart sank when thw drill bit we were using snapped while drilling but by teh luck of teh gods it came out and the easy out did its thing...

20210814_173831.jpg

Here is the snapped suspension bolt

20210814_160754.jpg

And here is a rough sketch of what I have planned for the new alternator bracket...

20210816_235933.jpg

Not very technical but It is a start point :D

Attachments

• 20210814_185226.jpg
    20210814_185226.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2

Danny

Administrator
All the parts arrived to repair the buggy and I am contemplating getting the redesigned alternator bracket made before stoneleigh... but we shall see...

I think we plan on moving house tomorrow :-\

Danny

Administrator
Well I have redesigned the bracket and I think it will work... It is a bit of a gamble doing it before stoneleigh but we shall see...

I have to order a new alternator belt as the old one is too short now hopefully this new one is just right

I will upload photos in a bit

Danny

Administrator
Well today was a bit of a slow start and the bracket looked great but the hole it was bolting to was a bit shit.

A friend came over and we went through loads of options and after 3 hours I found this...

There are 4 m10 holes in the block and with a bit of angle it works a treat..

20210825_154856.jpg

The original mounting point was screwed and was going to let me down at some point but this way looks great
20210825_222816.jpg

20210825_222812.jpg

Very simple but should be reliable

Danny

Administrator
It has been a stressful day today but I think we are there :D

I had to chop down a spanner to get it in to tighten the bracket down and then to adjust the adjuster but I have a lot more confidence than the other way of adjusting and to be honest I am close to to re selling the tensioner that I bought and anybody that buys it is nuts because it is such a shite design....

fingers crossed I make a safe journey to stoneleigh :-\