Digital Speedo Instructions

Steves2580

Hi,

Has anyone got a spare set of instructions for an Acewell Ace 3853??

My speedo seams to have stopped working (just the speed) everything else is fine ???

I'm just unsure where to look first!!

All wires seam to be attached, and the speedo cable out of the gear box seams to be attached, how do i test the doofer on the end of the speedo cable ???

Cheers, Steve.

Phaeton

Staff member
Steve,

Unless Simon beats me to it, I'll post some ideas tomorrow, bit strapped for time at the moment.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Steve,

In this POST it tells you how yours used to be wired, no idea if i still is obviously. You need to check for the 12V on the brown?? If you tap the ends of the orange?? & purple?? together at a constant rhythm you should get a reading. The other thing to check is whether the inner cable is actually spinning in the sender unit when wheels are turning.

Alan...

Steves2580

Hi Alan,

Thanks for this, is the post from when you build Mary??

I'll get onto it and let you know!!

Thanks again,

Steve.

Phaeton

Staff member
Steves2580":2ncbtbpe said:
Thanks for this, is the post from when you build Mary??

It was from after SVA, I was on the road & there was problems with the inaccuracy of the speedo running off the magnet fixed to the wheel, which then decided to come adrift & whizz past my ear around 60mph. The pickup might still be attached/built-into the offside front mudguard support.

Alan...

Steves2580

Hi Alan,

Spotted that the other day when I was fitting Mary's new shoes, wondered what it was!!

I looked on the Acewell website and managed to download the instructions so I'm getting closer!!

Thanks for your help!!

Steve.

Steves2580

Well, I've had my drill on the end of the speedo cable, the doofer on the end spins, but there's still no reading on the speedo!!

I'll chase the wires back, as soon as i can!

Is it a regular problem, the doofer going done??

cheers,

Steve.

esdebe

It's the first I've head of....

You need to check that there is a live on the read wire and if you put a multi-meter across the other two wires you should see it have a high and low value (not necessarily a 0 and +12... I think it was something like +5 and -5 last time I did it...  if it reads just 0 then there is something wrong.

Note you need to have the Multi meter going across them while there is a live feed to the red and the other two wires need to remain connected to the acwell other wise there is no earth.....

I'd start by chasing the wires, there will be two connected to the acewell I think they will be green and white  disconnecting the "doofer" (speed sensor) from these and tapping them together should create a reading and prove that the acewell is functioning correctly. 

I'd then put a MM across them while they are disconnected from the doofer and check the voltage at the acewell, as there should be a voltage comming out of the acewell (about 5 to 7 V I think)  Then connect them back up and disconnect the doofer and check that the same voltage is at that end, this will show if you have a problem there...  then conenct the doofer back up

When you connected the drill to the  I take it you  had the ignition turned on so the Acewell was lit up.

Simon

Steves2580

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the input!

I'll give that a go, and let you know how I get on!

Yep, ignition was on  ;D

cheers,

Steve.