engine removel?

marshall

hi i am going to pick up a mini automatic
engine and subframe(not in a car) but what i need to know
is what size are the bolts and is the engine heavy?

esdebe

the bolts on teh mounting brakets for the engine to subframe are 1/2 inch so a size 13mm does the job, if there are any gearbox steadys on it they are either 1/2inch or 5/8ths so again either 1 13mm or a 14mm does the job.

as for the weight, two people can lift a 1275 with manual gearbox easily enougth I've managed to lift it on my own but I wouldn't do it again as I felt like I was going to drop it and was holding on so I didn't damage the clio I put it in the boot of...

not sure what weight difference the auto box makes.

If it is a 998 then it is a even easier to move but would still recomend 2 men for the job.

Phaeton

Staff member
If the subframe is out of the car, then 1/2" spanner what you need to get engine out of frame, but will depend if driveshafts have been removed if not it gets a bit harder as you have to remove one of the hubs & pull the driveshaft out of the pot joint. None of this is possible without an engine crane of some form, the engine alone weighs 150Kgs & depending what's on the subframe anywhere between 40 & 80kgs.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
ha ha I can juggle with mini engines...lol

The amount of times its been out of my buggy

Danny

marshall

OK the drive shaft's are still in place so if i remove one dose
it matter witch one? and when one is removed could 2 men
lift it out after the engine mounts have been removed to?
thanks for all your help.......

Phaeton

Staff member
Last time I did one on my own with an engine crane, I unbolted the engine from the subframe, I then split the offside hub bottom balljoint (I think, it's the longer one) started to lift the engine. I slid back the rubbers on the inboard pot joints & then as the engine was going up I somehow managed to get the drive shafts out of the pot joints, DON'T remove pot joints from engine or you'll have oil everywhere. If you're going to lift the subframe into a car/van later it might be easier to take off both hubs & pull the driveshafts out of the subframe, it'll be easier to lift the engine as well. This is all with a manual box, I have no idea if a auto has the same pot joints/driveshafts. How did the person you're buying it off get it out of the car, do they not have a crane you can borrow? When I picked my last engine/subframe up the seller had a crane & we just lifted it up & put it straight in the back of the Berlingo, problem was back at this end as I'd lent mine out, so all I did was tie a rope on & drive forward & dumped the whole lot onto a pallet.

Alan...

Radar

lifting Engines out by hand Simon ? "by the power of Greyskull" and other such things that's just a plain silly thing to do....think of the damage you might cause to your body...next time use the wife and mother in law ....lol

Radar

Mini Mad Max

I shouldv'e got a pic of the removal of my mini engine, two strong men with a fence post on their shoulders with the engine strapped to it. Have a small troll for the engine ready or something that you can wheel it around on. Makes it so much easier. I made one out of four big casters and a couple of big sheets of ply bolted together.
Max  :D

marshall

as the guy selling the sub+engine and he has a crane to put
it in the back of my zafira but the problem is that when i get
home i have to get it out on my own i do have 2 scaffold planks
to slide it down as i need to use the car to get the kids from school..
as i have not got a crane......

collie

you could place a board down in the back of the Zafira, then drag the engine out on the board down the scaffold planks. ???

marshall

hi when i got there the guy used a crane to put it in the
back of the zafira heavy than i thought. got it home
and reversed the in into the garage and put the planks
on the back of the car and against the back wall to stop
them moving. pulled the hole lot out by hand and when
at the bottom took the handbrake of and pushed the car
away. it went all OK. do need a engine crane...