Engine Starting Problem Solved Hopefully

Phaeton

Staff member
Those that met up with me any time last year will probably know about my starting issue. The engine is good, & has a MASSIVE 55bhp at the wheels but has always been a bit of a pig to start. Well not start really, actually getting it to turn over, if I could get it to turn over it always started but it would often just do half a turn & then stop. I've changed the starter motor & the starter solenoid, I did wonder whether it was just high compression & at one point considered a Hi-torque starter, but at £180 I really wanted another solution.

As the battery is tucked away at the front, jumping is an issue so I have put an Anderson connector behind the drivers firewall direct to the starter motor, but even with the leads connected it still reluctant to turnover. I had my hand on the back of the starter & was making sure everything was tight when suddenly it would turn over fine. So I thought I'd sorted it, left it till the following night.

Went out Thursday night brimming with confidence that everything was now fine, turned the key & NOTHING!!!! all I could hear was the relay chattering. Not even headlights, but then all of a sudden every thing was fine & it started, but if I put the head & spot lights on the engine virtually stopped. I thought I would check the positive battery terminal, grabbed the cable & gave it a good tug, it seemed to move, so a few more yanks & I managed to separate the cable from the terminal. I remade the cable off & it would them spin the engine over & burst into life 4 times without any problems again YEAH I fixed it, once more for good luck, DAMN/F**K?B*******U@~#||\\><?><@@@~~~~*****&&^%^&$£"$%(*%^&$$&^$&$$^$&$&$$&^$& Let's just say I wasn't happy.

So Friday comes along & I get home from work, goes into the garage & luckily decides instead of pulling the buggy out onto the drive I'd try to start it in the garage. Luckily, as because when I turned the switch all I heard was the chatter of the relay but I did see something out of the corner of my eye. When I turned the key again I saw a spark on the battery coming from the negative terminal, so I gave the negative the same treatment as the positive & managed to separate terminal from cable. At which point the boss texted me to say the world was falling apart & I had to go save it.

Saturday morning after qualifying, not me you understand but the F1 drivers, I went into the garage took off the front bumper, nose cone & re-terminated the negative terminal. Whilst I was there I've removed the Red Isolator switch & ran a trickle charge connector. Put everything back together & fingers crossed the cranking issues have now been solved. It looks like it was poor connections & high resistance across the joints.

Took Bumble out for a quick blast, seemed to have a bit of vibration from the back nearside but couldn't see or feel anything when I got back other than there was only 8psi in the tyre. Also the discs still have quite a bit of rust on them, so it could be that, I need to get it sorted as we're away from next weekend & don't come back until the Friday before Stoneleigh on the Saturday.

Sorry it's War & Peace but once I started typing I couldn't stop.

Alan...