Front coil over shocks

Mini Mad Max

Hi guys,
I've read edsebe and R1freestyle's convorsation on the coil over conversion, and needed to clear some things up as i would like to do the same.
I have found a website for the shocks edsebe explained: http://www.shock-absorbers.co.uk/view_c ... 150/100B12
I wondered if the springs that came with the buggy fitted on the shock well and worked fine. If not can you point me in the right direction for good springs that will fit and are the right spring rate.

The shocks on the link are £53.71 each without the springs and was also wondering if there is a cheaper place to get them from.
Thanks
Max

wagon_1.0

What lengths did you guys running these get?

Looking to modify my front end significantly, but haven't yet found the maths to do it!!!

wagon_1.0

the rears of a mini... OK, how do teh spring rates work with them? quite good?

Alan I meant... I am not sure what open / closed length I need.... but I have been learning since yesterday....

ie on raldes:
https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_i ... ts_id=5237

Adjustable for rate and ride height.

Open Length: 9"
Closed Length: 7"
Stroke: 2"
Chrome Length: 3"

This range is available open length 9" - 20", closed length 7" - 12.5", with either bushes or rod end bearing eyes and 12mm or 14mm piston rods.

Please note: This item is to suit 1.9" I.D springs only.

I'm thinking I'd like to go down this route.....
p1010022.jpg

wagon_1.0

and actually after a little research, a lot of the bits are available off the shelf - I found me some oval seamless tube, a laser cutter, and also brackets for the coilovers.

I need to work out a bush and rose joint strategy next :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay so what we're doing is tinkering around the edges, just hopefully making slight changes to make slight improvements, you want to redesign the whole shebang, all depends what you ant to achieve, what is currently there works, what we're replacing it just gives a bit more adjustment. If you're after track car performance then are you starting with the correct vehicle? Or if you're just playing, learning & enjoying yourself, go for it. But you'll never make a silk purse out of a sows ear

wagon_1.0

its rich's fault :)

hit the nail on the head here: If you're after track car performance then are you starting with the correct vehicle? Or if you're just playing, learning & enjoying yourself, go for it.

Phaeton

Staff member
Makes a change I normally blame Max, but as he hasn't touched his buggy in over 4 years then it's difficult in these circumstances ;D ;D ;D
SLACKER!!

Danny

Administrator
The coilovers are great on mine :D I have a set of brand new springs spare if you are interested :D

Phaeton

Staff member
TBH the front works find, the only ting that I believe would improve it would be to get rid of the rubber bushing at the pivot of the arm & the shock & replace this with a rose joint.

ChaosMS

Lol why is it my fault????? ??? ;D ;D ;D :eek:

Though I must say i like the look of the front suspension setup even if the shock is at quite a steep angle!!