Front mud guard mounts

Leigh1299

Hi all ,
Does anyone have a set off front mudguard mounts for a freestyle buggy that they would sell ? Prefers the same as in the photo.
thanks

250buggys

I had to fab up a set for mine, if you can't weld pop to a local fabrication shop to get some made. Looks like you have templates. As they line up on 4 holes can be tricky. I had to spot weld mine, tack in place then final weld on the bench. Mild steel is cheap and so is hammerite.

The front cycle wings take a right bashing due to the vibrations from the road so it is likely that the welds will fail often.

I now carry some rope so when they fail I can strap them up to get hone without having to put it in the buggy and chop the wiring.

All good fun..

Oops just missed England's second goal while typing! And now the third!!

250buggys

Why not repair the ones you have? If not it would be worth considering why the welds fail and redesign but I am an electrical engineer not mechanical.

Leigh1299

I was going to take mine off over the winter and get a set made for the rears as the rears keep braking !!! I didn’t want to take them off now as buggy in daily use . If someone had a set I could buy it would just be quicker and easier from that point off view … hope that makes sense 🤔
Good England game too 😀

250buggys

The Freestyle was sold as a kit conversion and not a kit car so the chances of ever finding any spares is very unlikely.

You don't need to wait until winter, my front cycle wings are solid I can sit on them, if yours are likely to fail best to get to it now. It is not much fun when they do!
The welds just need grinding/cleaning up and then get as many beads of weld on as possible on the flat plate. As said before they have a really hard life, every post hole or bump they get a bash and they are on the unsprung side.

See pics, this is what I have done for the rears. Found some scrap aluminium plate 1.5mm and cut a T shape for the hanger and then cut a square for the attachment to the the box frame. Works well and is super simple, you could get this added in a morning and won't cost anything if you have some scrap ally, a hacksaw and a drill etc.

The edge trim is only on there for IVA purposes, haven't got round to binning it yet.

Hope this helps...
Good to hear you have done over 500 miles since you bought yours 😁

Pic (9).JPG

Pic (8).JPG

Pic (7).JPG

Pic (6).JPG

Pic (5).JPG

Pic (4).JPG

Pic (3).JPG

Pic (2).JPG

Pic (1).JPG

Danny

Administrator
I have spares but the brake so often it would be crazy to sell.

Get a welder out and give it a go.... it's a job you will have to keep doing

Leigh1299

I guess your right guys , I have taken the one that keeps breaking off and braced it with more plates , it doesn’t sit square to the tyre anymore but at least it’s solid again !
time to rip up some more roundabouts lol 😂

Danny

Administrator
I guess your right guys , I have taken the one that keeps breaking off and braced it with more plates , it doesn’t sit square to the tyre anymore but at least it’s solid again !
time to rip up some more roundabouts lol 😂

They never sit right even from new :D Its squinty character building :D

Leigh1299

Phaeton I bet that was an experience 😂, I’ve been out again tonight and cracked and snapped it off again 🥴
I’m going to have to bite the bullet and take the buggy take the buggy to a fabrication workshop and get them to come up with a good design and get a pair made.
Was it Lilspeed that was close to me in Somerset ? Would be good to see another buggy in the flesh to see what had been done to it 👍

Phaeton

Staff member
We had some really great times, the breakdowns & failures were all part of the fun, although as the years went by the reliability got from 1 failure a day to 4 days without any, this was over the 10 year period. Putting 1000 miles on a buggy in 4 days really makes you sort out the problems.

Part of the issue is that the front shocks don't really work well, they oscillate a lot, the idea of the bracket is sound, just all needs beefing up.

Alan..

Danny

Administrator
Wales is great fun. The last 4 years I have had the same fault and finally 2 years ago I sussed it....

It's a good weekend :)