Gear changing problems still …….

Leigh1299

Hi all , I’ve come back to the forum for help !! I’m still having issues with being unable to select gears after 40 mins of driving and the engine getting hot !
The water temp goes between 60 -80 degrees so it’s not overheating , I’ve added a 10 row oil cooler , what should I try next or what do you guys think could be happening ?
I can select all gears fine on start up and it’s ok until it has done about 15 miles around town ? The engine is 1380cc and I’ve got the sucky fan , big rad and electric fan already fitted . Any ideas ?

Danny

Administrator
Hi all , I’ve come back to the forum for help !! I’m still having issues with being unable to select gears after 40 mins of driving and the engine getting hot !
The water temp goes between 60 -80 degrees so it’s not overheating , I’ve added a 10 row oil cooler , what should I try next or what do you guys think could be happening ?
I can select all gears fine on start up and it’s ok until it has done about 15 miles around town ? The engine is 1380cc and I’ve got the sucky fan , big rad and electric fan already fitted . Any ideas ?

it wont be cooling...

Have you looked at how steady your engine is? I am guessing that when driving the engine is moving making the gear road shorter or longer... if you get gears before you have driven it then I think it is obviously a linkage issue...

Get as many engine steady's in as you can and see if that makes a difference... or convert to cable change :D

Phaeton

Staff member
As Danny says, I also doubt it will be over heating issue, it sounds like either engine is moving, although logically that would be evident when driving straight away & not after 15 minutes, seem to remember having 3 steady's on my A series, 1 at the top & 2 underneath.

Is it to all gears? when you have difficulties if you stop & not using the clutch do you still have issues, wondering if it's the clutch not the gears, gearbox itself that's worn, have you tried a different oil, no idea what but maybe a slightly thicker one. The other thing is the linkage, maybe it's only marginally getting the gears in when it warms up it's not selecting properly. All things to try, but only do one at once.

Leigh1299

Thanks guys , I will run through these ideas …. I can get all gears when engine is hot and turned off , so now thinking it’s clutch related and not oil. I will tackle that route first ! 👍

Leigh1299

So……. I’ve fixed the problem thanks to you guys 👍
It was a combination of errors !!! Slave cylinder was holding pressure due to the pedal spring not being tight enough to hold the pedal up so it was slightly pushing in the master cylinder rod !!This then kept the arm on the gearbox out ! So adjusted spring lengthened the rod at the pedal , fitted a new slave cylinder while it was all apart , adjusted the arm on the gearbox with the bolt and amazingly it changes gear 100 times better hot and cold 👍
It is a totally different buggy , can’t keep it sensible around corners or roundabouts anymore it just has so much more power than before !!! So thank you guys ,and this forum , without it us not so clever guys would be lost 😬

Danny

Administrator
So……. I’ve fixed the problem thanks to you guys 👍
It was a combination of errors !!! Slave cylinder was holding pressure due to the pedal spring not being tight enough to hold the pedal up so it was slightly pushing in the master cylinder rod !!This then kept the arm on the gearbox out ! So adjusted spring lengthened the rod at the pedal , fitted a new slave cylinder while it was all apart , adjusted the arm on the gearbox with the bolt and amazingly it changes gear 100 times better hot and cold 👍
It is a totally different buggy , can’t keep it sensible around corners or roundabouts anymore it just has so much more power than before !!! So thank you guys ,and this forum , without it us not so clever guys would be lost 😬
perfect

250buggys

My throw out also un did itself with exactly the same results, just be sure to nip up the lock nut.

Leigh1299

I’ve given all bolts a good checking over , 250buggys so hoping all good now , I’m changing the oil for the valvoline 20/50w as I think the engine oil still gets hot and thin after a good run around and as it’s now got a new lease of power it’s only going to get hotter . Ive done 500miles in it since March so time for an oil change anyway .
While typing away here , does anyone know where to get rear mudguards as mine are starting to brake with the vibrations or even if there’s a pattern anywhere for the full rear cover that I’ve seen on some photos ?

Danny

Administrator
yeah those old engines need thick oil...

but if you want power..... K Series... :D :D :D

Glad its changing gear now

Phaeton

Staff member
While typing away here , does anyone know where to get rear mudguards as mine are starting to brake with the vibrations or even if there’s a pattern anywhere for the full rear cover that I’ve seen on some photos ?
Unless @Danny has a pair hiding in one of his garage I don't think there are any rears around, but you should be able to use just about any arches, you'll need to modify the brackets anyway. With regards to the Big Arse mould, I think it got cut up, somebody had it stored on a farm & then lost their storage, seem to remember it being offered & nobody had space.

Danny

Administrator
I probably do have a spare if you get reallly desperate.... but I have a little reputation and I will no doubt need them :-=\

Phaeton

Staff member
To be fair @Danny you normally go into obstacles forwards, fences, hedges, gates, not aware of any rearward excursions