Got a Freestyle Buggy at last!

250buggys

I have spent a few hours over the last couple of weekends building a better home for my buggy. When I first got the buggy I managed to get hold of some free wood so I built a frame and put 3 big tarps over that to protect the buggy.

Tarp.JPG

It was OK at first, there would be some condensation that would drip on the frame but it kept the buggy fairly snug over the winter. I even had it cat proof for a while! With the winter gales it started to tear and muddy paw prints started to appear on the seats and I realised I needed something much better.

Frame.JPG

I ordered some lengths of 2x2 to strengthen the structure and clad that with sheets of ply.

Shed-Garage.JPG

Starting to get there...

250buggys

Starting to take shape.

Ply on.JPG

The sun came out on Sunday and with the temp in double figures I gave it a coat of gloss.

Gloss.JPG

Constructed for aprox £100, and will accommodate an MK Indy should the need arise one day....

At least when I am finished it should keep the neighbours cat out!

250buggys

A few leaks with the new buggy garage, will get over to B&Q next weekend to get some felt for the roof- that should help.

Got busy with the grinder today,

DSC_0401.JPG

Plan was to remove the upright brackets for the old top mounted rad which I ditched, also the brace that runs across the rear shock tops. This was bent out of shape and looks ugly. I don't think I could have got it straight again in situ, I will probably weld a bit of bar in place instead of tube which will hopefully gain more strength and resist any knocks.

DSC_0404.JPG

While the grinder was out I started to grind down the welds smooth, I have decided like some of the other freestyle builders to mount the side panels on the outside of the frame. This will give me some small gains to fit my full width seats, also would really like a centre console to tidy the gear and handbrake linkage up. I plan not to reinstall the old galv panels but swap them out for some light weight ally substitutes.

DSC_0405.JPG

250buggys

DSC_0408.JPG

I thought I was finished removing parts from my buggy for the refurb but today I removed the lower firewall. I will need access to the frame for painting plus it wasn't fitted properly as there was a huge gap down the off side, I will try and move this over for a better finish even though it will mean drilling new holes. Does anyone else have the lower firewall as quick release for better access to the engine or does it have to be riveted permanently in place ?

DSC_0409.JPG

250buggys

Got some felt on the new buggy enclosure roof, should be nice and water-tight now.

Felt On.JPG

Full day on the buggy today, have been removing the old tired paint.

Paint Off.JPG

Never done any welding before so got some practice filling the old rivet holes.

Holes Filled.JPG

There are still some more to do.

250buggys

This weekend I finished removing the old paint from the frame, managed to rid about 85 percent with a grinder and flap disc. The rest I had to scrape of by hand.

No Paint.JPG

The minute I got the spray cans out it started to rain, got the buggy frame into the make-shift spray booth and got a coat of primer on

Primer.JPG

Roll on next weekend, I ordered some paint which will hopefully turn up during the week.
The plan was to paint everything black but after spending all that time removing the old black paint I think I will go for something a little bit lary!

Paint.jpg

At least on the tube section of the frame anyway.

250buggys

Paint turned up, so I got the spray cans out at the weekend.

Green 1.JPG

I had made an error, when I prepped the frame I used grey primer and the yellow looked more green.

Green 2.JPG

It wasn't too bad and eventually grew on me but I had bought yellow paint so I rubbed down the frame and used white primer this time.

White Primer.JPG

250buggys

Looking more yellow than green now, just need to finish the front bulk-head and battery tray.

Yellow 1.JPG

I used wagon's idea of using upol raptor 2 part truck bed paint, it should hopefully protect the steel from corrosion better than hammerite will.

Yellow 2.JPG

Used my pipe bender to shape some bar then welded it in to take the dash I will make.

Yellow 3.JPG

Starting to get there now...

250buggys

The plan was to fit the chequer plate upper fire wall I got but when I offered it up I realised that the time needed to make up some new brackets could be better spent repairing the old one.

Used a flap disc and grinder to get rid of the corrosion.

DSC_0585.JPG

Started off by cutting some patches and welding them in place.

DSC_0587.JPG

Then filled the holes.

What holes?

DSC_0596.JPG

Upper fire wall in primer ready for paint.

250buggys

The upper and lower fire-wall sections were previously riveted permanently in place, now they will be removable access panels. Added some rivnuts to the box section to bolt the upper fire-wall in place.

DSC_0597.JPG

Just need to do the same with the lower section, will probably take lilspeed's advice and make the lower fire-wall two sections opposed to a single piece.

DSC_0598.JPG

250buggys

I have been measuring up to get the seats in, these seats really are just a bit too wide but I am going to do everything possible to use them in the build.

DSC_0647.JPG

Upper & lower fire-wall (treated to a new coat of paint) now in place, removable rather than riveted permanently. This should make access to the engine easier. I have ordered some edge trim, so will fit that to when it arrives.

DSC_0788.JPG

250buggys

I was going to use the pedal box assembly rather then the pendulum pedal setup as it would give me a bit more leg room. But by lowering the seats with different brackets and moving the seats a bit further back I can get the steering wheel off my knees. So I will use the pendulum pedal box as it will save me further valuable room in the passenger leg well and save me some work making a pedal box cover.

Brake fluid reservoir from a Fiat Seicento sourced and fitted to the dual line master cylinder.

DSC_0789.JPG

Pedals have been prepped for paint

DSC_0790.JPG

250buggys

Delivery arrived, bulk roll of edge strip. Removed the upper firewall and started to fit. I was hoping that it may push fit but it wont stay in place on the corners so I will fit with some contact adhesive.

DSC_1013.JPG

Fitted the pedals after a coat of paint.

DSC_1014.JPG

Also ordered a new clutch master cylinder, just waiting for a new pair of circlip pliers to arrive so I can swap the push rods over.

DSC_1016.JPG

250buggys

Clutch M/C now fitted, pedal travel working nicely.

DSC_1017.JPG

Have been fitting the edge trim to the upper fire-wall but making slow progress, have to glue a few inches at a time and let it dry otherwise it just splodges out and makes a mess.

DSC_1021.JPG

250buggys

I have been busy making not so shiny buggy parts look shiny again.

Check out the gold callipers (well one so far), I had some metal paint left over from my gate finials and thought this would be a good contrast with the black. I was going to paint the springs white as this too would look good with the black shocks, the only problem is you can't see the springs with the nose cone on so probably not worth spending the extra money on paint, so Halfords black gloss it is...

DSC_1047.JPG

The flaking old paint comes off fairly easily, it's just there is so much of it...

DSC_1041.JPG

One side of the front down, one more to go!

DSC_1042.JPG

I'll get the painted bits built back up and on the buggy before I refurbish the other front parts, this will help the motivation and also clear some space in the shed.

250buggys

From this,

DSC_1048.JPG

To this,

DSC_1050.JPG

Then this.

DSC_1055.JPG

There has been so much rain lately (in June) it has been difficult to get the spray cans out.

250buggys

Got one wheel bearing replaced, plenty of hammer time.

DSC_1102.JPG

Getting there,

DSC_1103.JPG

Also replaced the ball joints, plenty of trial and error adding and removing shims.

DSC_1104.JPG

250buggys

Off side top arm fitted,

DSC_1114.JPG

Started to fit lower arm then decided to order some adjustable lower arms, they should be here during the week. Will hopefully be able to dial in the settings kindly noted & supplied by lilspeed.

DSC_1115.JPG

Near side hub getting some TLC as next job.

DSC_1122.JPG