Got a Freestyle Buggy at last!

250buggys

Phaeton":frv9qn5a said:
Your split conduit looks like it will do the job

Shame I didn't think about adding it at the test centre although that is quite thin in diameter so the larger stuff I have ordered should be better suited.

ChaosMS

Great news on the IVA!!

I would just double check what it says about the hardness of the radius, if I remember correctly you could have it at a larger radius (19mm) and have it solid (as mine is) or 5mm but have a hardness something like rubber so the conduit might not be enough by itself (you may need to pack it) - I will see if I can find the section on it. (scratch that you have it in the post!!)

Also when I did the IVA they checked the whole column not just the boss for the wheel but if he said the boss only you should be ok

Rich

Phaeton

Staff member
7. The instrument panel lower edge within the “specified zone” must have a
radius of curvature not less than 19mm or 5mm and be covered with a
non-rigid material, except where an adaptation for a disabled person
makes it impossible to comply. (see Notes 6 and 7)

It's as clear as mud to me, is it 19mm or 5mm, or

> 19mm it can rigid material
19mm < 5mm it must be a non rigid material
> 5mm is a no go

So could you just cover your existing with some vinyl & put some 3mm foam behind it & around the curve of the dash?

250buggys

ChaosMS":2e6txcfv said:
Great news on the IVA!!

I would just double check what it says about the hardness of the radius, if I remember correctly you could have it at a larger radius (19mm) and have it solid (as mine is) or 5mm but have a hardness something like rubber so the conduit might not be enough by itself (you may need to pack it) - I will see if I can find the section on it. (scratch that you have it in the post!!)

Also when I did the IVA they checked the whole column not just the boss for the wheel but if he said the boss only you should be ok

Rich

Thanks Rich final hurdle now.

He said the column was OK and definitely does need a collapsible boss, I double checked as the manual is quite ambiguous and open to interpretation. I think it may have been your IVA experience where you asked the inspector for his email address which was a really good tip. So once I am happy I will send over a pic to see if he's happy with the changes to get some buy in before I take it for a retest.

Just waiting for the larger split conduit to turn up and I will trial fit that. I know what you mean about packing it., the smaller conduit fits over the steel bar I welded in quite nicely and if I add some black cable ties in every inch or so it should be fairly rigid while looking fairly permanent. I tried splitting a length of heater hose to see how that would look but just ended up wasting a perfectly good bit of hose.

It needs to be as rigid as possible but nice and flexible to fit the contours of the bottom of the dash and run up the sides.

250buggys

Phaeton":26hntfd1 said:
7. The instrument panel lower edge within the “specified zone” must have a
radius of curvature not less than 19mm or 5mm and be covered with a
non-rigid material, except where an adaptation for a disabled person
makes it impossible to comply. (see Notes 6 and 7)

It's as clear as mud to me, is it 19mm or 5mm, or

> 19mm it can rigid material
19mm < 5mm it must be a non rigid material
> 5mm is a no go

So could you just cover your existing with some vinyl & put some 3mm foam behind it & around the curve of the dash?

Hi Alan,

He was definitely looking for 19mm with his a radius gauge no mention of an option for 5mm. I'll see how it goes with the split conduit and then see if it needs covering.

Looking forward to getting this box ticked and getting the retest done and applying for registration.

Regarding registration I asked them whether in their opinion I have done enough to get an age related plate and they said it all depends on who processes it at the DVLA. They mentioned that they get quite a few production kit conversions through and the chap fills in the paper work the same every time but sometimes he will get a new (current year) an age related plate or sometimes it's the same plate as the old donor. Just shows that the DVLA don't seem to know their own system.

I'll be happy with either an age related plate or a 19 plate but maybe it will be a Q.

Phaeton

Staff member
With DVLA or DSA or whatever they have wasted the money on branding themselves this year, I found the easiest way was to lead them, rather than let them make the decision. "So as the suspension, steering, engine, gearbox, brakes & wheels all came from the same car I should get an age related plate shouldn't I?"

But this was in the days when there was local offices & you had to take the buggy to them to get it registered I'm not even sure what you have to do these days. I've been to both Sheffield & Nottingham & found that both really didn't have a clue what they were looking at & whether the part had come from the original car or not.

ChaosMS

I remember when I spoke to the kits and rebuilds section at the DVLA, they wanted me to prove all sorts of stuff until I said I didnt care what the plate was as this was no classic replica and I would be more then happy with a Q plate (I just wanted it on the road) As soon as I said that the lady from the DVLA said "Oh great I will process it now!" and I had the letter confirming the plate in a couple of days after that call (but it took over 4 months to get to that call as they lost the paperwork in various sections before it eventually made it to the kits and re-builds section

250buggys

Phaeton":2geczgu9 said:
Was the inspector happy steering wheel spokes, I'm sure I had to put edge trim on it

The steering wheel had a cover, came from a guy who had just put a Westfield through the IVA test so I knew that it should be Ok.

Screenshot_2019-04-12-17-03-53.png

Phaeton

Staff member
Ah that makes more sense, if you're not happy with your adapter plate when you've finished it, I was rooting around in the workshop today & came across the collapsable boss that you need that I could send down for you to borrow. It's the old Mountney standard, I have a smaller wheel that it's currently on that needs repairing so not in use at the moment.

250buggys

Phaeton":2u87wajo said:
Ah that makes more sense, if you're not happy with your adapter plate when you've finished it, I was rooting around in the workshop today & came across the collapsable boss that you need that I could send down for you to borrow. It's the old Mountney standard, I have a smaller wheel that it's currently on that needs repairing so not in use at the moment.

Thanks for the offer Alan, I think I will be ok but I'll let you know if I do. Almost ready to get that re-test booked. By swapping out the alloy steering boss with a steel version and plate it is now aprox 3kg heavier. When it was weighed it came in at 510kg, shouldn't take much effort to get it under 500.

250buggys

Phaeton":2fwpikzp said:
All looks good now

Thanks, recon I should have done enough to tick those last few boxes. Re-test booked now so lets hope so and then I will be able to have some fun with the registration process... ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
very well done it's a nice feeling isn't it, you are now one of not many who will be driving a car they have built themselves.

How do you now do registration as you can't visit them?

250buggys

Phaeton":2ygqpu4x said:
very well done it's a nice feeling isn't it, you are now one of not many who will be driving a car they have built themselves.

Thanks Alan, yes I am really pleased. Once I got the re-test bits sorted I've had to resist tinkering for the last two weeks and now I have my certificate I can make some improvements. :D

How do you now do registration as you can't visit them?

I'll keep you posted with my registration progress. It seems silly that the VIN will need inspection again by DVLA as the buggy has just had over four hours worth of inspection from a DFT official. We have to deal with the department for transport at work and that can be hard work...

Danny

Administrator
I remember registering mine and it was a knightmare... old days when they had to post you forms out instead of emailing... absolute joke it was

Phaeton

Staff member
Well done, DVLA or DSA or whatever the chickens like to call themselves this week, are a nightmare to deal with unless you get the right person who actually knows what they are talking about, I am led to believe they use agency staff & flowcharts which is great for normal stuff but not kit cars. As a Yorkshireman I applaud your decision to wait until 1st Sept no point in giving the buggers a months money for a few days.

As to

250buggys":3taqmuti said:
Might well be the last Freestyle to be registered as there aren't many projects on the go at the mo.

Calling Max, calling Max, ROFL

250buggys

Lilspeed":29zbvu26 said:
Excellent news!

Well done Chris. :)

Thanks Alan and Justin, its been a great project and will be even more fun now its on the road. Been busy this weekend putting the bigger tank in and fitting the LED lights.

I am also really pleased I got my age related plate, no emissions test come MOT in 2022.

DSC_0476.JPG