Handbrake Warning Light

Lilspeed

Quick question for those of you that have had 'The VOSA Experience' -

Handbrake warning light - Is it a necessity for IVA?

I've looked in the IVA manual and can't seem to find out whether I need to have one or not. I'm guessing that if it doesn't say that I need one then maybe I don't!

But I thought I'd see what you all think ;)

Phaeton

Staff member
Depends what you mean by handbrake warning light? You need a light to check & monitor brake fluid level, which is commonly referred to incorrectly as handbrake warning light, as it is operated by the handbrake

Alan...

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Lilspeed

I'm thinking of a light that comes on when the handbrake is applied.

I'll get hold of another brake light switch for the handbrake and wire it to my fluid level light then.

Cheers Alan!

Phaeton

Staff member
Lilspeed":yrs5f3gu said:
I'm thinking of a light that comes on when the handbrake is applied.

All this normally does is put an earth onto the circuit as a tell-tale that the bulb on the brake fluid is working, it doesn't have to be on the handbrake, it just needs to be on a switch that can be operated from the driver in their normal position

Lilspeed":yrs5f3gu said:
I'll get hold of another brake light switch for the handbrake and wire it to my fluid level light then.

I may have a handbrake in the workshop with a switch fitted if you want me to have a look?

Alan...

Lilspeed

Phaeton":2tiyj18p said:
All this normally does is put an earth onto the circuit as a tell-tale that the bulb on the brake fluid is working, it doesn't have to be on the handbrake, it just needs to be on a switch that can be operated from the driver in their normal position

Oh. Well I've already got a test switch fitted for the fluid level light.
I take it that negates the need for a handbrake light then?
Or is it worth having one as well just to be on the safe side?

If you have got a handbrake Alan, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands.
Someone has made a horrible job of trying to drill mine for a pin to make it a fly-off. Still works fine but it's not pretty!

Justin