Harness fixings

jason_l

Hi All,

Just thought i would post up on here as im sure i have seen this done on somones car before but can't remember who's???

Im looking at fitting some three point harnesses to the buggy and plan on using the existing lower fixings to fix the harness to. However there is currently no fixing point for the shoulder harness part. Im planning on putting a fixing on the bar that runs behind the seats but what sort of fixing do i need??? I think someone said somewhere that the fixing needs to go right the way through the bar. I want to get a internally threaded bar and drill a hole right the way through the bar and weld it in place. I have had a quick look on ebay and they sell short threaded inserts but nothing that would go right the way through the bar?

Many thanks people,

Jason :)

jason_l

Actually, just found it.............its collies purple pony  ;D

Freestyle004a.jpg

Looks like a nut either side but could be wrong???

iank

No they are drilled all the way through.  I've got 4 on my rear bar for 4pt harnesses.

The standard bolt for harnesses is 7/16" UNF so that's the thread you need in the insert (same as the top seatbelt mount if you have them)

IIRC Dave had them made up by an engineering shop, not a hard job so may be a 'beer money' job for a local engineering company with a lathe and the right sized tap.

jason_l

iank":22sc5wnc said:
No they are drilled all the way through.  I've got 4 on my rear bar for 4pt harnesses.

The standard bolt for harnesses is 7/16" UNF so that's the thread you need in the insert (same as the top seatbelt mount if you have them)

IIRC Dave had them made up by an engineering shop, not a hard job so may be a 'beer money' job for a local engineering company with a lathe and the right sized tap.

Thanks for info Ian, pretty sure they have to go all the way through as you have said.

Just had a little look and have found a 7/16 UNF tap at work so may just make these up on the lathe myself, just being lazy  ;D

collie

Jason,
Dave asked if I was going to fit harnesses or seatbelts, hense, the fitting.
Without looking and from memory, it goes all the way through and is threaded, same as the seatbelt mounts  :)

jason_l

collie":1pfy4853 said:
Jason,
Dave asked if I was going to fit harnesses or seatbelts, hense, the fitting.
Without looking and from memory, it goes all the way through and is threaded, same as the seatbelt mounts  :)

Thanks Collie, looks like i may have to retro fit something then. My frame looks a mess at the moment anyway so not a problem adding something in and loosing even more powdercoating  ;D