Hello! I’m new here and building a Suzuki Jimny based buggy

Phaeton

Staff member
Looks brilliant if a little too clean, don't wait for the sun, my lad was out 4x4ing with his mates a couple of weeks ago, the SJ ripped all the rear suspension off & had to come back on a trailer, the Fourtrak spun all the bottom bearings & had to be towed back by the other Foutrak.

jimnyBuggy

Now complete! MOT'ed. insured and Taxed and has been on it's first COVID safe and compliant shakedown trip today!

Blog here - https://jimnybuggy.com/2021/03/21/shakedown-trip-1/

And some favourite photos here -

laning.jpg

210321-7.jpg

210321-8.jpg

210321-11.jpg

210321-20.jpg

210321-21.jpg

210321-24.jpg

Just needs some front mudflaps!! LOL

210321-25.jpg

Soon remedied for now though -

210321-29.jpg

jimnyBuggy

Thanks Guys! Now got the "bug"(gy) and am planning another build for this winter... (third lockdown?!)

Have ordered from a mate who breaks the odd Jimny -

TWO front axles, radius arms, steering bars, steering boxes, four wheels with temporary working tyres on...
and
ONE power steering pump, steering wheel and column...

Just won a bike engined buggy reversing kit on eBay (starter motor with matching profile cut big gear)...

I'm going to slowly build a four wheel drive, four wheel steer buggy. offroad only, might try a few trials with the AWDC eventually... probably take me a couple of years of quietly tinkering though...

I'm planning on narrowing both axles by using the shorter side driveshafts on both sides of the diff... The "Boogie" is great, but it's more car-sized and identifiable as being based on a Jimny (it had to be for road - and hence greenlaning - use) but I'm craving something (else not instead of) more buggy'ish like some of yours... ;)

I'll start a thread when I start later in the year... no rush, want to get out and enjoy this one greenlaning this summer ;)

ChaosMS

JimnyBuggy - that sounds like a really interesting project, looking forward to seeing that progress!! - lots of pics please :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy AKA Baloo has done a lot of this might be worth a message to him although he doesn't come on very often

jimnyBuggy

Nice to see the forum back up and running, and with a fresh lick of paint too :cool:

I've not had much luck with the Boogie... yet! -

Shakedown Trip #2 on 31/03/21 full blog here - https://jimnybuggy.com/2021/03/31/shakedown-trip-2/

310321-10.jpg

310321-9.jpg

A coolant pipe had rusted through and snapped off, so an emergency repair to get me home :confused:

Shakedown Trip #3 on 13/04/21 full blog here - https://jimnybuggy.com/2021/04/13/shakedown-trip-3/

130421-13.jpg

A loose connection on the starter motor and a leaking jubilee clip had me recovered home (luckily by a mate's firm)

Shakedown Trip #5 on 19/04/21 full blog here - https://jimnybuggy.com/2021/04/19/shakedown-trip-5/

190421-3.jpg

190421-6.jpg

A quick trip to Cash & Carry (I run a Londis) and I thought the clutch had gone, so a new clutch was almost fitted, but it turned out to be the gearbox, so a new clutch and a replacement gearbox was fitted...

gearbox.jpeg

Nothing else can go wrong now then? There's only the engine that hasn't been replaced on the whole buggy...

First trip out with the Jimny lads on 23/05/21 full blog here - https://jimnybuggy.com/2021/05/23/first-trip-with-the-group/

230521-1.jpg

230521-2.jpg

230521-15-2.jpg

All going well, six greenlanes done, and then...

230521-24a.jpg

Head gone :mad:

260521-1.jpg

260521-4.jpg

Head skimmed, pressure tested, new gaskets fitted, new water pump, etc. etc...

140621.jpg

And...

A809632B-D141-466D-9CF2-F11BA6BA7AF1.jpeg

That's better! :cool:

Should be getting it back tomorrow, another shakedown trip, and then supposed to be out with the other Jimny lads around the Peak District area next Sunday, the 27th of June...

I'll keep you posted! ;)

jimnyBuggy

Oh, hang on, I missed one successful trip! :D

190521-01.jpg

190521-02.jpg

190521-05.jpg

190521-1.jpg

"I can see my house from here!" ;)

190521-2.jpg

190521-5.jpg

190521-07.jpg

190521-4.jpg

That was between the gearbox and the head going! :D

Phaeton

Staff member
@Danny are you sure this is not you with the number of breakdowns, @jimnyBuggy Danny is the only person that knows the name of every AA man/woman between Brighton & Wales, only because they've all come out to him over the years :LOL: so don't feel bad.

jimnyBuggy

@Danny are you sure this is not you with the number of breakdowns, @jimnyBuggy Danny is the only person that knows the name of every AA man/woman between Brighton & Wales, only because they've all come out to him over the years :LOL: so don't feel bad.

We must be kindred sprits then Danny! Years ago I got a letter from the AA saying I was taking the proverbial, as I'd been relayed five times in one year of membership, they threatened to charge me for the next relay... I retorted with a lengthy well worded letter saying it was very much like insurance companies, it's a bit of a gamble for them, and how many members pay their dues year on year and never call a patrol / relay out...? "Swings and roundabouts"!

I'm with the RAC now! :D

Danny

Administrator
Yeah I have had that letter. They like it when they start gettingarsey that you point out that they only employ failed mechanics and if they did a better job they would not have to keep coming out :)

jimnyBuggy

Put some miles on the buggy today... ;)

200621-1.jpg

Halfway to my destination...

200621-2.jpg

To pick up some missing lines from our weekly Londis delivery... who are ironically owned by.... Booker! (who are now owned by Tesco!)

200621-3.jpg

Stopped on the way back on Colwyn Bay prom' for an icecream (looking west)

200621-4.jpg

Looking east...

Then to my Mum's for a visit (ironically on Father's Day)....

200621-6.jpg

On the local (Pensarn) beach where you can drive on (but too many people to scramble over the pebbles! :D )

200621-7.jpg

Again looking east...

I then went to visit my Dad who lives inland from the coast, putting a good sixty miles on The Boogie, so all seems well...

A few local greenlanes on Wednesday before rejoining the rest of the Jimny lads for a tour of the Peak District next Sunday...

But that's a different story / post ;)