Insurance for my buggy from Adrian Flux

ChaosMS

Just thought I would post finally got the buggy insured (on VIN number) so I can drive it to the IVA test and to/from MOT prior to the IVA, went with Adrian Flux, Fully comp, on VIN (which i understand is more expensive due to the risk) 6000 miles a year and a value of 10k - came in at £230 which i thought was pretty good considering its a scratch built vehicle!!! - the VERY helpful lady did say that as i didnt have any no-claims to move onto this vehicle it was more expensive and insuring on a un registered vehicle on VIN only was also a higher risk, once registered and renewal comes around it should be a lot cheaper!! - Happy Days!!

Phaeton

Staff member
Rich, Just as a point of interest is the fully comp, parts or parts & labour? It is often cheaper to have just a fully comp parts policy, which is what I go for as I would want to rebuild it myself anyway.

Danny

Administrator
No claims dont get built up on kit cars... every year is the same.. if if I total mine I would rebuild it :D

ChaosMS

Phaeton - to be honest I dont know I have salvage retention on the policy but it does not define if labour is included - I will check, As you said I would re-build it myself anyway!!, I got the impression that it was more expensive as it was not registered so I was limited to the insurance company's that would cover me on just the VIN

Danny - thats weird why would no-claims not get built up on a vehicle? the no claims goes with the vehicle and policy owner, they asked if I had any no-claims to move to the buggy from another car.

Phaeton

Staff member
When I have done mine through Graham Sykes it was no more expensive but only good for 30 days although I had to extend it to 45 days for the retest as VOSA couldn't fit me back in

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

danny2

Administrator
Staff member
Same as classic car insurance you don't build no claims

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

ChaosMS

OK So little heads up chaps, just got my renewal through for the buggy and Flux wanted £257!! fully comp - I nearly died! :( ???

Spoke to a couple of people on their renewal lines the first one simply did not understand what a kit car was i think - didn't grasp I wanted a parts only policy etc and told me they didn't do that kind of policy! - Phoned the following day different person seemed to know more about kits but confirmed that they don't do parts only, when I asked him how one of his approved repairers was going to be able to repair a total one off vehicle, he didn't know and went off to find out if there was something else they could offer, when he came back they could get to £200 as one of the insurance companies would give a 30% discount if I re-built it myself (so parts only ish and why only 30%) - so royally pi$$ed off I started ringing around

I know you guys have had issues with Graham Sykes in the past but they were spot on, Parts only fully comp £103!! Result!!

So looks like Flux has dropped all the parts only stuff and is putting all the insurance up - keep an eye out at renewal time chaps!

Rich

Phaeton

Staff member
I lost faith with Graham Sykes the other year but they all seem to go through stages, I rang Flux to try to insure the V6 after having them recommended, they wanted over £400, got it for £147 with AIB.

ChaosMS

Ive spoken to the insurance company about the additional cost when I move to the new GTI engine and it adds £6.90 to the cost bringing a years insurance to 109.90!!!! Gotta love kits

Danny

Administrator
ChaosMS":2vzlymkc said:
Ive spoken to the insurance company about the additional cost when I move to the new GTI engine and it adds £6.90 to the cost bringing a years insurance to 109.90!!!! Gotta love kits

I am paying £130 a year for mine :D

Phaeton

Staff member
I'm currently with AIB although I think they are expensive the barstools charged me £40 to change half way through from the V6 MR2 to the Freestyle. But as I had the policy it seemed pointless to cancel & look for a new one.