Intermittent fault

robcoles

How’s everyone keeping during these difficult times ?
Hope your all well.
I’ve a small problem that I can’t seem to find the reason behind. Im intermittently loosing my indicators & break lights, it’s a pain because I keep thinking the problem is cured then 5 minutes later ... boom no break lights or indicators again. Has anyone experienced this or have any advice they could offer.

Thanks guys
Stay safe

250buggys

Hi Rob

Have you still not got some seats yet.

If its blowing the fuse its a short if not its a loose connection, maybe a bad earth or loose connection on the +V side.

I recon its probably just some corrosion on the connecters. Start with the easy things you can get too first.

robcoles

250buggys":2tjm807t said:
Hi Rob

Have you still not got some seats yet.

If its blowing the fuse its a short if not its a loose connection, maybe a bad earth or loose connection on the +V side.

I recon its probably just some corrosion on the connecters. Start with the easy things you can get too first.

No I’ve Still not got replacements seat.

Probably corrosion as the wiring is pretty old.
Could really do with new relays & new fuse box

robcoles

I’m pretty confident the issue is at the fuse box.
Every time the indicators fail , I wiggle fuse box & they work again for a few minutes.
Going to order a replacement as it’s looking tired

robcoles

I’ve just ordered a more modern fuse box.
Whilst on eBay I ordered led rear lights plus led fog light & number plate light. Push button ignition & immobiliser & sat nav speedometer..... buggy hasn’t had a Speedo since I bought it 5 years ago ;D

250buggys

robcoles":ptgqxa25 said:
I’ve just ordered a more modern fuse box.
Whilst on eBay I ordered led rear lights plus led fog light & number plate light. Push button ignition & immobiliser & sat nav speedometer..... buggy hasn’t had a Speedo since I bought it 5 years ago ;D

I too have had issues, I recon I could track down a poor connection with my meter pretty quickly but mine is slightly worse, blowing fuses. Which is a right pain must be a dead short somewhere.

I have no confidence in the CBS wiring module so ripped that out and ordered one of these.

Fuse 3.JPG

https://ebay.us/2UXRLA

I was originally going to make my own and would have been a lot cheaper, the CBS unit was over £100 and didn't even come with relays for the head lights. I originally thought it would save time and seemed to work OK at IVA.

Fuse Box.jpg

16 fuses is plenty, will be able to sperate my circuits right out. 5 relays would have been better but I think I can reduce my hazards and indicators onto one flasher relay with two feeds. Two for lights, one for fan. I checked the current and the switch rating for the horn circuit and this doesn't realy need a relay.

What fuse box did you go for Rob?

Phaeton

Staff member
If it's a fuse that keeps blowing, get a headlight bulb, remove the fuse & put he headlight across the fuse terminals in the fusebox, If there is a short the headlight bulb will light up, it may even cause the fault to identify itself, follow the smell.

250buggys

Phaeton":4g3pu4d0 said:
If it's a fuse that keeps blowing, get a headlight bulb, remove the fuse & put he headlight across the fuse terminals in the fusebox, If there is a short the headlight bulb will light up, it may even cause the fault to identify itself, follow the smell.

Thanks Alan thats a good tip, thing is its intermittent and more than one fuse.

Phaeton

Staff member
If it's across more than 1 fuse then it's likely to be the main feed into the fusebox that then straps across the other fuses.

Danny

Administrator
That CBS module is pretty good... I used it in my rebuild and have one for the MOJHO as well that I plan on doing myself this time :\

Bit of a way off though that part :D

robcoles

Fault is now sorted.... new fuse box fitted , led back lights looking good. Still a few more electrical bits to be replaced