K Series Power stats...

Danny

Administrator
After driving the buggy all weekend I was blown away by how damn quick it is....

Other than doing a timed 0-60 I figured I would chomp over some figures....

MGF 0-60 time is 8.5 seconds... but weighs 1320 or at least 1060KGS

The lotus elise s1 which also runs the same engine and I think same throttle bodies etc...

Elise 0 - 60 5.7 seconds.... but weighs 785kgs...

so the buggy with a standard mini engine in and full of water and fuel weighs 520kgs... so would I be right in saying that it should be quicker than the elise? so divide 5.7 seconds by 785kgs = 0.0072611 seconds per kilo... times that by 520kgs = 3.77 seconds... still need to add a bit of weight possibly for teh engine and the extra steel and what not... but still bloody quick :D

what do you recon alan?

Phaeton

Staff member
But that is only the buggy then you have to add the weight of your lardy arse, then all the fuel, oil etc. are you sure about the Elise, my buggy gross is 725Kg, I'd be surprised if an Elise is only 50Kg heavier

Mini Mad Max

I'll believe it when I see it! Go do a timed run ;) I bet it's in the high 4 seconds mark, maybe low 5s once you consider the bullshit factor for these kind of performance estimations :p

Phaeton

Staff member
Well he has the all new fangely dangley dashboard which will tell him this IF he can get it all working ROFL

''Left a Bit''

Rather less sophisticated suspension and the grip problem with A/T's or less sticky tyres than the elise make a massive difference, plus the Elise is fairly rear biased even with driver and passenger in....with the rotary in plus driver we were similar weight to an Elise, but 0-60mph was mid-5 seconds on gravel/dirt tracks, not much different on tarmac due to the M/T's, that was with 260-odd horses....

If you know the rough weight front/rear, wheelbase, ride height and power/torque on the engine I can model it for you on different surfaces.

Danny

Administrator
I really should weigh her and see if my springs are right for teh weight so i may just get back to you :D

''Left a Bit''

I've only done a quick check because without more figures it's not very accurate, I've just gone off the photo scaling for wheelbase, rough CoG, rear geo changes for traction, etc. Couldn't see but guess you're using the 160 engine so took a dyno I have from one in an elise.
If so, looks like it'll spin the wheels through the whole of first on the buggy?

I got a 0-60 of 5.5s, 80mph in 10.41s - top speed approx 105mph (in 4th) - that sound about right?
That's modelling with some standard road tyres on tarmac, for M/T's on hard pack, if it ever goes greenlaning, it's about 95-100mph for the top speed and 6.75s to 60mph.

There's probably a good 20% error margin on that at the minute without more accurate inputs though.

Mini Mad Max

Because Dan sourced the engine from an F and not a TF, there is no 135 power option. Therefore it is a 120. Just checked the fountain of knowledge (wikipedia). Could you imagine what one would be like with 160?! :D

''Left a Bit''

Well, yes, it's up there in the stats :D

3.77s 0-60 with 120bhp in that Danny? Can I have what you've been smoking? :D
Just plugged the numbers in and it's actually faster 0-60 than the 160 by virtue of the longer final drive - one less gearchange - so around the 5.25 area, pretty quick - as soon as it hits 80 the aero murders it though - tops out around 95.
The above still applies though - might be miles out without better inputs, close guess only.

edit: changed figures as have updated model with Avon ZV5 tyre load curve that it's wearing on the rear - 5.4s to 60mph, 10.7s to 80mph, still 95mph top end.

''Left a Bit''

Danny":238e1e8q said:
Yeah it's an f...

Still quick though

Should outdrag/match most things to 30 purely because of the short wheelbase/rear engine and weight transfer will give it good traction - similar sort of times to 911's, Boxsters, Ferrari 360/430, etc - it'd pull 2 car lengths on brand new Focus ST for example even by 30mph with a hard launch. O0