Lotus 7 (Replica) Build Discussion

ChaosMS

Hey Chris, to be honest I have hardly touched mine in months, various incidents have kept me away from working on it, however they have all been resolved now so hopefully I will get it running soon, engine and loom is in as is most of the plumbing - so I have my fingers crossed I will get back to it again hopefully in a couple of weeks or so!

250buggys

Carpets, bloody Carpets, what is it a whimpmobile 😂🤣😂🤣
Yer I know Alan, lots of reasons why you shouldn't the extra Kgs for one, probably traps water between the metal work and carpet etc

Looks good but in reflection I should have gone with the lighter weight set.

I have the boot panels but undecided as to whether I will fit those, there is a Dif inspection panel IVA will want to see and there is much trimming involved. I may trim but not glue for now.

The Freestyle didn't even get mats but that is a different beast! Haven't seen many come up on ebay lately....

250buggys

Its the diff inspection panel apparently they want to see. My kit didn't come with one so I made one out off some 1.2mm all sheet.

Phaeton

Staff member
Seems a very bizarre thing for them to want to see, there's nothing in the manual as to why they would want to.

250buggys

It might be because there is a rear diffuser underneath preventing access for inspection.

You are right though if it is not in the manual they can't bash you for it but it does say they can ask you to remove any panel for inspection and that is a good reason for taking loads of pictures as that is usually good enough and saves a lot of time. Always a good idea to take your tools 😀 the first thing he did was to ask me to remove the engine cover on the Freestyle so they can check the engine number.

Phaeton

Staff member
On the MEV's it's the fuel tank to confirm it's bonded & the correct type of pipe has been used, I just told them it would come off but will take ages as it's not designed to, showed them where they could just about see the bonding & they accepted it on both occasions.

Phaeton

Staff member
Fosters, Beer mat, does not compute, does not compute, does not compute, system overload.

Phaeton

Staff member
I just used Tigerseal, figured it I ever did want them to come off I'd have to use a Stanley knife, a couple of others with Exocets made some tubes with nuts welded to them with grub screws, they then Tigersealed the tubes to the frames.

Issue with that is your tubes have to be exactly parallel or you still can't get them off & there is a risk the screws will work loose, but I suppose you could use Loctite on them.

250buggys

Had no choice Alan, I tried everything to keep it. The VVT solenoid sticks up atound 80mm from the top of the rocker cover and fouls on the underside of the bonnet and wont shut. I found some low profile engine mounts and it still fouls and I am not having one of those stupid bonnet bulges or a scoop to hide it

Its a beast

Phaeton

Staff member
Easily done Chris, Done it myself a few times especially when access is difficult, can you put that pipe in before fastening the junction to the frame, I've found that the best way as it then can move a little

250buggys

Good idea Alan I will and try and get all the fittings on first especially the bottom one then attach it 😃

Danny

Administrator
I like teh easi bleed but have one that goes on the nipple and sucks :D :D :D seems to solve all my issues (well with the buggy)