Lotus, Elise - always on my mind...

250buggys

Every time I drive up the A140 in Norfolk it is either really early or really late and the Lotus dealership is usually closed. I have always wanted to pop in and have a good climb in and out of the elise's. My work buddy had a S1 and that was really good fun although not very refined.

I am not interested in the Exige as they are stupidly priced for what they are and the Evora design doesn't look as good as it should.

Managed to get over there last weekend and have hopefully convinced the engineering manager at work that we need to organise a Lotus factory tour for our department!

The 250 cup (toxic green) absolutely blew my mind, every finest detail (even to the body colour interior leather stitching) was outstanding.

DSC_1918.JPG

The club racer was really nice if you could look past the colour, don't get me wrong this would be awsome for track days.

DSC_1920.JPG

The plain old entry level S model series 3 is the beast I am after 134 bhp, 0-60 6 seconds (my 2 litre, 200 bhp tomcat turbo was the same 0-60). The probax leather seats were super comfy compared to the 250 cup and club racer which were really only fibre glass with some leather in places. I am sure this would be perfect as a daily driver although you would probably want to keep it for the weekend!

DSC_1916.JPG

When you get in an elise it is quite an art and getting out is even harder, you kind of fall out. There is a big sill which is tough to negotiate. That said being a tall chap there was ample head room and leg room. Radio is an optional extra, could be retro fitted on the older models but apparently no wiring loom in the newer models. Once you get in and out a few times it becomes second nature...

I was looking at a Focus RS S3 and couldn't believe that these are now £35K, as soon as the S4 is out it will depreciate so much and the same with the new VW GTi

One of the bonuses with an Elise is these motors don't really depreciate, you can buy one and keep it for a couple of years and if you decide to sell you can almost certainly get your money back, just watch out for the insurance write offs, there seem to be many of these knocking about, I think it should be the sellers obligation to provide an HPI check to prove the sale is legit.

I was soooo tempted to take the gun metal grey S3 Elise out for a test drive but didn't want to fall in love with this one, what I didn't realise was that the front clam shell really suffers with stone chips, as the gell coat on the fibre glass is white underneath this really shows up on the grey. This model had done 30K and needed a front end re-spray. I know you can get the protective film to put over the paint but probably makes sense to get a white variant, shame as the gun metal grey is amazing.

This is the closest thing to a super-car I will likely ever be able to afford, with my 15+ years no claims is almost the same as my hatch back to insure and I have a drive way that can accommodate 3 cars, so enough room for the buggy too....

Lilspeed

I'm a big fan of Elise's too Chris. There was a time when the S1's were almost within my reach, and I really regret not biting the bullet and buying one. They're appreciating well now.
A friend's brother took me out in a brand new S2, and I'd have to say it was probably the most exhilarating car I've ever been in. Not the fastest, but from the passenger seat it felt amazingly pinpoint accurate and planted, even on the bumpy B roads of Darkest Somerset.
Although if I remember right, he hit a fox at speed with that car, and the cost of the repairs made him sell it. Pretty much destroyed the front clamshell!

So summer is on the way, now would be a perfect time to . . . . . ;D

Danny

Administrator
I test drove a s1 and thought it was terrible... the buggy with a quick a series was quicker and handled better

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Stell

Simply marvelous cars. I don't even want to sit in one to test it out simply because I can't afford it. I don't think I could stand going back to my old Volvo after that. lol

250buggys

Stell":52iiauzz said:
Simply marvelous cars. I don't even want to sit in one to test it out simply because I can't afford it. I don't think I could stand going back to my old Volvo after that. lol

Once the mortgage is paid off an elise is the very first thing on my list of things to save up for. Lets hope they keep making them up the road in Norfolk and not some far east country...

Danny

Administrator
250buggys":2gl741d3 said:
Stell":2gl741d3 said:

Once the mortgage is paid off an elise is the very first thing on my list of things to save up for. Lets hope they keep making them up the road in Norfolk and not some far east country...

Dont wait that long just buy it :D Do it while you can still get in and out of it :D

wagon_1.0

I have an e92 m3 and my mate has a s2 elise - we have swapped keys a couple of times.

Have to say being in cars at both ends of the spectrum, the elise is really good fun, and I think if I had tried it before the m3.... I would own one.

They also seem to hold their value excently

Your comment about the buggy handling better is an interesting one Danny. I thought the elise was very good! But I never really set up my buggy properly before the engine gave up then I cut it to bits ;D

My mate always moans about the squeaks and the hassle on a rank winters day in his, not a replacement for a proper daily I don't think....

Danny

Administrator
wagon_1.0":1k67tb69 said:
I have an e92 m3 and my mate has a s2 elise - we have swapped keys a couple of times.

Have to say being in cars at both ends of the spectrum, the elise is really good fun, and I think if I had tried it before the m3.... I would own one.

Your comment about the buggy handling better is an interesting one Danny. I thought the elise was very good! But I never really set up my buggy properly before the engine gave up then I cut it to bits ;D

My mate always moans about the squeaks and the hassle on a rank winters day in his, not a replacement for a proper daily I don't think....

I could not daily an elise or a kit car :D

Phaeton

Staff member
250buggys":271ljf4o said:
When you get in an elise it is quite an art and getting out is even harder, you kind of fall out. There is a big sill which is tough to negotiate..
I had the same issue with the MK3 MR2 the sill was so high it was difficult to get out of, main reason I sold it. Never driven a Lotus, always promised myself I would own one one day, but now looking very unlikely, as to the buggy handling batter Danny, I suspect not, if you can get one to Cadwell, I'll give you a lap start & still beat you in a 6 lap race.

Danny

Administrator
Phaeton":276ft6x7 said:
250buggys":276ft6x7 said:
When you get in an elise it is quite an art and getting out is even harder, you kind of fall out. There is a big sill which is tough to negotiate..
I had the same issue with the MK3 MR2 the sill was so high it was difficult to get out of, main reason I sold it. Never driven a Lotus, always promised myself I would own one one day, but now looking very unlikely, as to the buggy handling batter Danny, I suspect not, if you can get one to Cadwell, I'll give you a lap start & still beat you in a 6 lap race.

Its the same engine and the buggy is lighter :D get the suspension set up right... O think it would be ok :D

I drove and S1 elise with an intention to buy and I thought it was absolute dog shite :D

250buggys

Danny":1nuovhua said:
Phaeton":1nuovhua said:
250buggys":1nuovhua said:

Its the same engine and the buggy is lighter :D get the suspension set up right... O think it would be ok :D

I drove and S1 elise with an intention to buy and I thought it was absolute dog shite :D

It's Toyota now, whole different world.

250buggys

Danny":2dtfgshb said:
wagon_1.0":2dtfgshb said:

I could not daily an elise or a kit car :D

Recon I could, our car park at work is full of BMW this and Mercedes that, an elise would be right keeping up with the Jones and something decent to look at.