Max's Freestyle buggy Discussion thread.

Phaeton

Staff member
Mini Mad Max":2g78o9e0 said:
Perhaps alan the reason it's taking me so long is because i want to do a good job of it ;)

See I just knew you were doing something wrong

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Mini Mad Max":1xsgpto6 said:
I would say taking my time to prevent the whole buggy looking like a bodge job is time well spent :)
Max

You mean like Mr Bumble ROFL

Alan...

jason_l

Mini Mad Max":33c87k8n said:
Bring on a buildathon

Is this going to be one of those buildathon's where you say your going to do loads of work on it but then add about 3 or 4 bolts and spend the rest of the time slacking? ::) ;D

Mini Mad Max

Lies. It cant have been a year :p Also this year i'm deffinitely going to get it finished. Just you guys wait and see!!!

wagon

Mini Mad Max":3e1obif6 said:
Got it set up for quick release, so 4 dzus fasteners is all i need to undo.
DSC_0041.jpg

These are a good idea - felt a bit of a fanny in the middle of the IVA running back to the car to get the socket set to take the engine covers off! ::)

Also - are you going to paint the tread plate?

Mini Mad Max

Why thankyou :) I really wanted easy access to the front of the engine as that's where all the engine electrics are and mini engines aren't famed for amazingly reliable ignition system :p
Nahhh I'm gonna leave all the chequer plate natural aluminium finish. Apart from where the back of any chequer plate is visible in which case i shall paint it black, like the behind of my fuel filler panel and air intake panel :)
Max

jason_l

Its looking good Max. Really starting to come along now and im pretty sure you are well in front of me now! Keep up the good work buddy :D

Mini Mad Max

Thanks guys... Cracking on with it as much as possible every weekend and any free weeknight. But my A level work is already piling on!
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Max,

Good to see some progress, but concerns over the bracket you have made for the harnesses. In the event of a front ender what stops the bracket spinning on the bolt, might just be the picture, but doesn't look right.

Alan...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mini Mad Max

Which bracket? I think you mean the middle one if you are talking of a bolt. There are 2 M10s at the front then the bar that the harness snap hooks clip onto is welded down the plates at an angle back to the rear bolts that use the original 7/16th seatbelt fixings. The worry was that in a front end impact, the metal forward of the tank in the centre console bit would not be strong enough, so we made a bracket that should send all the force to the much stronger 7/16 fixings at the back where the metal is all webbed onto the frame a lot more.
Max

Mini Mad Max

Yeah I just checked the picture and it wasn't very clear. The bracket carries on under the tank tunnel to the 7/16 seat belt fixings at the back. We used some steel reinforcing rod for the bar for the harnesses to clip to. So that ought to hold a fair bit of force! Thanks for spotting the bolt issue though. I would hate to miss something on the build as a result of poor vigilance!
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Max,

My concern is that in the event of an accident all that will happen is this bar will bend or worse still snap

DSC_00262_zps3d035dd3.jpg

Which means you will end getting too friendly with the steering wheel.

Do you have the option to either make the loop lower/smaller so less bending/snapping force or could you add some diagonal bracing going backwards.

Alan...

Steves2580

Excellent progress Max ;)

I have to agree with Alan, the round bar looks too long and will bend or break with less force than an impact would have. We wouldn't want you to be hitting the steering wheel (with your hip, ha ha)!!
Best to put a diagonal in from the back to the upper arrow (rear half) on Alan's edited picture.

Hope that makes sense ???

Keep up the great work and it will be at Stoneleigh!! ;)

Steve ;D