Melvin the Mev Mevster Discussion Thread

ChaosMS

Alan, yeah and there will be a delay at the DVLA too, just tried to sort my Daughters provisional licence out today and that has a 3 month waiting time now!! - so who knows how long they will take registering a kitcar eh!

Phaeton

Staff member
Thanks Chris, I'll get a piece orders, only need a couple of small pieces just so it's not steel on steel.

Phaeton

Staff member
Currently fighting the indicators & hazards, connected rear lights, brake lights & fog all working, connected front side lights & head both dip & full again working, reverse is not but the biggy is the hazard/indicators, if I add power to the bulb then I can light up one side or the other but can't get them to flash. It's got to be the feed but it's puzzling me at the moment, not got a 1998 UK diagram, working with a US 1999 one but it does appear the same. Hopefully in daylight tomorrow it will be obvious.

Danny

Administrator
You are flying through this build... I will do some mojo stuff in the next couple of weeks :D

250buggys

That is a good question, he asked me if they had e marks and I said they did but he wasn't that worried about seeing the e marks but as long as they pass the rear vision which they check they should be OK. There is a lot in the manual but difficult to interpret and difficult to test yourself.

The description says nothing about e marking, IVA compliant and I wouldn't trust the radius on the pointy bit. Side repeaters need to be in an exact zone also.

I probably wouldn't and would go with the kit spares mirrors and swap out post test.

Phaeton

Staff member

Phaeton

Staff member
Bit more digging it appears the issue is that the beam pattern of the Dominators is flat & does not kick up to the left. some testers don't like this even though it is allowed in the IVA manual. However there is a mod where you turn the lense within the housing by 15 degrees, so before buying new ones I am going to try that.

250buggys

Hi Alan with the IVA retest fee being £90 on top of an over inflated fee of £450 I was not one to take risks and was looking for a first time pass and didn't gamble on anything that I thought may fail.

The only reason I didn't fit my LED lights is the bit below that says LED or Zenon projector headlights must be fitted with a wash system & automatic headlamp self-levelling system or self levelling suspension.

Halogen lights are terrible and rely on the reflective foil and diffuser, LED and gas discharge is much better technology, you would never see a car manufacturer fitting Halogen lamps today. If my kit failed due to not having a kick up I would go through the motions of an appeal which you are entitled to do. As long as the head lamps have e marks you are fine, I certainly wouldn't try and modify the manufactures product to get it to comply.

The tester at Norwich let me set my beam pattern up on his test box, I thought he might so I left the bowls a little loose, exactly the same as an MOT. Use your car on a garage door and take a photo and try and replicate it on the kit lamps and you should be close enough.

Section 25 No 9

Gas Discharge and LED Headlamps
9. Must be accompanied by evidence of compliance with the technical requirements
if not compliant with the following:
x is "E" or "e" marked
x dipped beam remains on when main beam is on (gas discharge only)
x is fitted with a wash system (see Notes 2 & 4)
is fitted with an automatic headlamp self-levelling system or self-levelling
suspension (see Notes 3 & 4)

Phaeton

Staff member
We have a lad who is an MOT tester, so before it goes for IVA it will be going to the garage (not for MOT) to have the tracking/suspension set-up along with checking the emissions, after new oil & plugs, it's already got a new cat & I'll test the Lambda sensor & replace if it's not responding. So we can do the headlights whilst it's on the ramp.

250buggys

Sounds like a good plan, should give you piece of mind and might be a chance of a first time pass. Good luck :)

Have you made a start on the paper work yet?

Phaeton

Staff member
250buggys":hfzsjlhe said:
Have you made a start on the paper work yet?

No working outside I have no concept of how long it will take to complete if the weather turns that could be it for several weeks, but I may look at getting it together in the new year, I suppose I can always put it back, or once I get a date I have a target to aim at. But it's surprising how long some jobs take, I think I'm 3 days into the wiring with no end in sight.

I'm looking at buying one of these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... rage---da/ but it's a bit long, only by 200mm & I have no secure way of tying it down on the block paving apart from maybe sandbags

ChaosMS

Alan, sounds like your making progress - I havent got mine running again yet so quite jealous of the fact your is !! ;D
I have to say the Melvin is looking great, your going to be running that in a few months (well if DVLA / VOSA dont mess things up)
I cant wait to get back to mine should be playing in the garage in another week or so

Rich

Phaeton

Staff member
Thinking to ringing Nottingham tomorrow to ask how long their backlog is, thought I might put the forms in before Christmas & see when they offer me a date, need to aim for March I think in case we have bad weather.

I bought one of these Sunday, put the frame up yesterday it looked HUGE outside the front of the house far too high so it's going back.

But if you've got the space in the back garden I'd highly recommend one, but it just didn't look right in front of the house

250buggys

Hi Alan are you fitting a quick release steering wheel? It gives an extra level of security. I fitted the summit racing raptor pro IVA RF steering controls so it should save a heap of wiring and weight.

DSC_0754_resize_94.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
Chris I have a quick release, but not sure until I get the seats in if there's enough room, but I have steering lock & the Mazda immobiliser so I think I'm good on that score.

Wheel I intend to IVA with is this Momo with a pad in the middle, may change it afterwards for something smaller depending on how it feels

This is the VIN number not easily to be read so may need to get another & put it elsewhere