Melvin the Mev Mevster Discussion Thread

250buggys

Hi Alan I had exactly the same issue with the ST170 engine the VVT solenoid is really long and no matter what I do it fouls the under side of the bonnet.

I have tried different engine mounts to overcome the issue. Some people add vents and bonnet bulges but not doing that.

I will strip the VVT off the engine when I can be bothered. Bit of a step backwards really as the ECU I am using controlls the VTT.

It doesn't matter, the ST170 engine is a bit more rugged than the blacktop Zetec but had I known what I know now I would have just gone with a 2.0 black top like Danny.

Glad yours fitted ok :)

Danny

Administrator
Hi Alan I had exactly the same issue with the ST170 engine the VVT solenoid is really long and no matter what I do it fouls the under side of the bonnet.

I have tried different engine mounts to overcome the issue. Some people add vents and bonnet bulges but not doing that.

I will strip the VVT off the engine when I can be bothered. Bit of a step backwards really as the ECU I am using controlls the VTT.

It doesn't matter, the ST170 engine is a bit more rugged than the blacktop Zetec but had I known what I know now I would have just gone with a 2.0 black top like Danny.

Glad yours fitted ok :)

glad I stuck to the blacktop....

250buggys

Perfect weather for it Alan. Good to get in as many miles as possible.

Good you got the issue sorted 🙂

Did you manage to get that unfinished Freestyle off Max yet, that would be a good project.

250buggys

Hi Alan, have you done any recently or planned track days in your MEV? (Missing your updates).

I would prefer to drive my project to the test center rather than rely on someone to transport it and a track day is a great way to bed the brakes in and test it in anger. Similar to your way of thinking I guess?

Chris 🙂

Phaeton

Staff member
TBH Chris not done anything with him for ages, I've even declared him SORN, although I did go to move him Saturday morning only to find he had only 2.25V in the battery, so not 100% why that was but didn't have time to investigate, jump start sorted him out.

As to track days I'm supposed to have one on Thursday but I've backed out, just not feeling it at the moment, but if you can find a local one they are good to shake the car down, bed the new brakes in, go round it afterwards checking all bolts etc.

Things planned for the winter are a bit more wiring, the tray needs cleaning up a bit more, take out the rest of the redundant wiring, I've also bought a heater matrix which I want to fit, so the wiring tray may hove to come out anyway, so it's a good time to do it.

But in the meantime I've just put this on the road.

IMG_20221013_133835_605.jpgIMG_20221013_133829_173.jpg

Danny

Administrator
TBH Chris not done anything with him for ages, I've even declared him SORN, although I did go to move him Saturday morning only to find he had only 2.25V in the battery, so not 100% why that was but didn't have time to investigate, jump start sorted him out.

As to track days I'm supposed to have one on Thursday but I've backed out, just not feeling it at the moment, but if you can find a local one they are good to shake the car down, bed the new brakes in, go round it afterwards checking all bolts etc.

Things planned for the winter are a bit more wiring, the tray needs cleaning up a bit more, take out the rest of the redundant wiring, I've also bought a heater matrix which I want to fit, so the wiring tray may hove to come out anyway, so it's a good time to do it.

But in the meantime I've just put this on the road.

View attachment 1853View attachment 1854

now that is pretty

250buggys

Ha, that is so bling. Good colour match to the bumpers.😃

Did you know the RAL code or did you have to scan it?

Phaeton

Staff member
This is getting really frustrating, went on a Classic Tour with my grandson today, we were given a route of 55 miles which we had to follow using a Tulip diagram, we ended up at https://greatbritishcarjourney.com/ which if you are in the area & like old British cars is a great place to visit.

On starting the won't rev above 2.5K started again until it warmed up we got most of the way there before it started to act up, it was just losing the signal from the cam sensor, on the way back had several instances of just total engine loss, always seemed to start on the overrun but would eventually pick back up. Managed to do 120 miles in all, only thing I can think of is put the original cam cover back on & drive it with that on for a few journeys to see if still occurs.

250buggys

Hi Alan

What did you think of the GBS factory, did you get to see much of the workshop and fab side?

The kit I am building is the GBS Zero. They have come a long way from the old Robin Hood days and still a way to go.

I have been there a couple of times to pick up parts and one was the cars and coffee event so good to see a few other Zeros and have a look. The Friday night at the factory is a fairly new thing for this year.

Chris 😃

Phaeton

Staff member
Unfortunately it was quite poor, the weather was bad, it must pissed it down for nearly an hour, so a very poor turn out, only 2 GBS's a Morgan, 1920's A type, a 63 Mini & a Jap with a modified engine, but didn't get to have a look at it, along with Melvin & a friends Exocet.

They didn't let us into the actual factory, only into the tyre changing area, just so we could get out of the rain.

Phaeton

Staff member
Really getting fed up now, ordered the fuse boxes, wrong ones come, ordered some power connectors for the CCTV, wrong ones come, FFS how difficult can it be, I used to run 3 warehouses with £20M of stock didn't have this type of problem.

250buggys

Yes really sorry to hear about that, looks expensive and frustrating.

Was really windy here too Alan.