Melvin the Mev Mevster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay EML would still come on, but the IACV one didn't resurface, found somebody reasonably close who had a ECU, Immobiliser & key, but no lock, but didn't matter as I've rigged up the immobiliser so it still works with just a key, I can put a switch in if I want.

20230620_174054.jpg

As I was putting it all back together I happened to put the clocks in the middle of the dash, bit like Citroen do, quite like it.

20230620_174115.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
Melvin i s now all better (I hope) took ages to find the fault, turns out it was how the Cam sensor was sitting in the cam cover, along with a faulty rear Lambda sensor, only did 20 miles this afternoon but the power is all back

Phaeton

Staff member
Today's project was to make the spacers for the shocks on the rear, it's low at 125mm ground clearance but the springs are wound up virtually as much as they could/can be which makes it a bit crashy/harsh. Using some 6mm plate I followed the same as I did for Harry but these didn't have to be as complex.

20230819_111744.jpg

20230819_111739.jpg

20230819_115756.jpg

20230819_163628.jpg

20230819_163635.jpg

Finished with the 40mm spacers put in, I loosened the springs off until they lose in the cage, which ended up with the rear of the chassis tub now 150mm off the ground, if that is too much I can screw the shock body into the lower mounting to come back down, but at least I now have options. Need to lift the front a tad as well, but that's for another day.

Phaeton

Staff member
Made some more spacers today, as I am using 6mm plate I couldn't make the spacers in the same way, there's not enough gap between the pates for the coilover stud, so I just cut the shape & placed one on top of the other to gain a 12mm lift. Took it out for a run & the ride is much better so currently happy.

Phaeton

Staff member
When I went to Newark kitcar show Steve mentioned as we left I didn't appear to have any brake lights, can't remember if I mentioned it upthread, last night I went to a coffee/burger evening at GBS HQ about 20 miles away. As I got back in the car I pressed the brake & didn't see any reflection behind me, so asked the guy who went with me to check & Yep they were not working again.

Last time it was a pin in a waterproof connector so that was the logical place to start as I'd had the rear cover off to do the shocks last weekend so I checked there & the connector was fine. But pressing the pedal didn't give me 12V, put it back together gave the circuit 12V & brake lights worked, but I wasn't getting 12V to the switch, looked at the wiring diagram shows 12V straight from the fuse, constant live, but when I checked the fusebox there was no fuse???? All I can think is some old duffer had taken it out & forgot to replace it 😂🤣😂🤣

Phaeton

Staff member
On the same coffee evening it was chilly coming back & one of Melvins upgrades was always to fit a heater, I've been playing around with heater matrix's & considering bulding a box around them, but mine never really look right even though you're not likely to see it. Whilst browsing Fleecebay I found a Chinese one (aren't they all)

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 20.07.23.png

So Sunday was spent removing all the wiring out of the wiring tray cutting a big hole in the bottom so it will fit it, only problem is that the pipes are on the drivers side, where my blocked off heater pipes are on the passenger side. Tonight I decided to take it apart, make a couple of new internal brackets & flip the matrix over.

20230918_180203.jpg

20230918_180213.jpg

Not perfect but good enough for my low standards, now to put back some of the wiring tray that I cut out on Sunday.

Phaeton

Staff member
Tried to get a bit done today, doesn't seem like a lot but took several hours and annoyingly lost the middle image of the wiring tray with no new cover, but went from.

20231022_144010.jpg

To

20231022_152941.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
Rant time!

Ordered 2x 6 way fuse holders, 1 for switched live, 1 for permanent live, should have arrived on the 1st, arrived at 5pm yesterday so no chance of doing anything with them. This morning got togged up, (it's grim up North currently), picked the packet up off the kitchen side & went outside to start to uncover Melvin, to see exactly how they will fit & whether I needed to make some brackets etc. Looked at what's been sent only to find they are different, both 6 way holders but 2 different styles, either would have been suitable, but to send 1 of each is beyond me.

So no more progress until next weekend (possibly) as I wait for some more to be delivered, the Seller is already being awkward, refusing to refund, but Fleecebay will be on my side.

Phaeton

Staff member
Managed to have a couple of bits of days on the wiring, still not sure it looks any better but pulled loads of unneeded stuff out. Most things seem to still work which is good, I've a bank of 3 switches to put back in for hazard, fog & blower. But as usual it's raining again so not likely to get back to it today, although on a good note it wasn't registered until 1st June which means the 1st MOT is further away than I thought, I'd got it on my mind it was 1st April

Phaeton

Staff member
More done, starts & runs which is a good, I think all the electrics work, all tested apart from the wipers which aren't currently fitted, but started to build it all back up.

Also had a play with the handbrake, wasn't working on the NS, seems although brand new caliper & cables were fitted the NS cable was virtually ceased. For now I've greased it up, but will have to get another new one in due course before the test.

Heater sits snuggly up under the dash

20240218_142456.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
All the wiring is just about done, the only things that need doing are the indicators in the mirrors which couldn't go on until the scuttle & screen were fitted. It's been propped up against the workshop in the back garden since last October. So today brought it around the front to refit it, leant it up against the wall whilst I got the covers off & lifted the bonnet.

As I did this there was a gust of wind resulting in

20240302_131658.jpg

BUGGER BUGGER & DOUBLE BUGGER

Phaeton

Staff member
Then onto this, not sure if it's a slightly different shape but it was like wrestling an octopus getting it somewhere near

20240309_111018.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
So continued to put things back together, although connecting up the radiator & hoses prior to refastening the anit-roll bar was a rookie error, luckily I hadn't filled it up yet!

20240416_160719.jpg

Then of course the water pump output was leaking so had to be taken off, new gasket made & put back on.

Come to the first start & was just about to spin it up & remembered I hadn't put the oil back in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So after doing that, I started it up only to hear a horrible squeal, a cloud of black smoke & laying on the floor

20240416_180126.jpg

Bugger, so the alternator seized, so I took it off only to find it hadn't, but each time I tightened it up it stopped rotating, it was the bottom bolt which has sliding spindle, which clearly wasn't. So sorted that out, with a spare belt, started again, this time found a fuel leak, so I added my own match problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.