MGF buggy

Baloo

well i got me a cheap mgf so another buggy is probably going to be on the cards ::) ::)

might go the same route as last time

Baloo

im going to run it round the track as it is and see if standard suspension can cope, it seems mighty low though

Baloo

Itwill be a while before i do anything with it need to finish one of the others before i touch the mgf really. I gave it a run round the track it seems to cope and the track could be made a lot smoother quite easily

250buggys

It's a shame you got rid of that other MGF buggy, that looks really good. Hope it went to a good home. The next one will be even better! :)

It would be a shame to make ur off road track, less off road. The tyres on your old MGF buggy looked like they were up for the job.

You are so lucky to have your own personal test track! :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy think about a custom fuel tank within the front subframe & the radiator at the front as well, possibly a cut down heater unit up the front as well, I'm interested as you know about one to try to get through IVA. Alan..

Baloo

250buggys":2xusuaa8 said:
It's a shame you got rid of that other MGF buggy, that looks really good. Hope it went to a good home. The next one will be even better! :)

It would be a shame to make ur off road track, less off road. The tyres on your old MGF buggy looked like they were up for the job.

i think its going to get altered into a smooth track plus a more bumpy track around that so theres a choice of which track to use and then some sections that will require a rock crawler to get round

i ran the mgf round yesterday it copes with the smooth bits well enough but it is a sports car with low ground clearance and very limited suspension travel so t bottoms out very easily and often want to run an mx5 round and see how that compares ??? and then a suzuki vitara chassis/suspension
and see how that copes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGFEu1iLD3o

Baloo

Phaeton":11e78do3 said:
Andy think about a custom fuel tank within the front subframe & the radiator at the front as well, possibly a cut down heater unit up the front as well, I'm interested as you know about one to try to get through IVA. Alan..

Hi Alan im happy to put some work into this, i dont want to strip this mgf just yet as it all seems to work perfectly, i will hunt around for a couple of subframes and set them up on the bench then we can discuss specifics ???

Baloo

250buggys":55v16xst said:

you cant keep everything lol, i sold it to a pal who changed the appearance a bit and then when he emigrated he sold it on ebay so god knows where it is now

this is it after i sold it , standard mgf suspension, filmed from the back of my micra engined buggy, he can out accelerate me easily in a straight line with the extra 800cc but his tyres had little grip in the corners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1XqOIZSfRU

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy any progress with any MGF buggy frames, I have money in my pocket & it's burning a hole

Baloo

Phaeton":34nfduvz said:
Andy any progress with any MGF buggy frames, I have money in my pocket & it's burning a hole

Hi Alan in a word no progress, the mgf i bought is running just fine and im loath to strip it for spares at the moment, ive looked on ebay with out success for a pair of mgf subframes, if i can find a pair i can use them to work out how the frame should be shape is crucial to what looks good and what dosent, if i can find a pair of subframes i quiet happy to knock up a couple of frames , ive thrown them away in the past ::) ::) ::)

Phaeton

Staff member
I have one here, I'll keep my eye out for another, or a cheap donor, as to wheelbase I'm thinking of shorter, I think the Freestyle cabin length was okay but it may depend on the pedal box.

Baloo

i was thinking the same wheelbase, when looking at a side view the only space i can see you can steal is the fuel tank behind the seats maybe 8" ? if that

Baloo

ok i have acquired an mgf rolling shell with engine and box to use for mocking up, will pick it up later in the week

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy Sorry but I have just agreed to buy another kit, but if you do build 2 I'll still have 1 off you are long as you can store it for quite a while need to hide it from the missus. Alan..

Baloo

Phaeton":3amytyu2 said:
Andy Sorry but I have just agreed to buy another kit, but if you do build 2 I'll still have 1 off you are long as you can store it for quite a while need to hide it from the missus. Alan..

Hi Alan no problem at all, will make you one as and when you need it

right ive been and collected my £100 mgf better than i expected if im honest, i thought it was just going to be a rolling shell but it came complete with engine and box out so i have a working driving mgf to chop up

took my favorite 9" grinder and improved the access to the engine ;)

what i was thinking was how about a build it yourself thread where we all contribute ideas, i will make one and post up all the dimensions and people can just pop in have a look and build their own does that make any sense ??