MGF Diagnostic Socket wiring

Danny

Administrator
This will be a long thread... I do apologise but I am useless with electrics so bear with me.

I need to wire in the OBD2 diagnostic port back into the buggy as I have a fault and this will be an easier way to find it (i hope)

I have the OBD2 port and luckily I left tails on it... which makes things easier...

20190813_234804.jpg

So the wire colours I have are... and I have pinpointed what they do as well

Bottom row from left to right...

Purple (P) = Ignition live through a 15 amp fuse
Yellow Pink (YK) = Air bag Control unit

Top row from left to right
Pink (K) = Goes to MEMS ECM (467) & ABS Control Unit 229
Black (B) = Earth
Red Blue (RU) = Goes to Alarm ECU (752)
Orange Blue (OU) = Goes to Alarm ECU (752)

Danny

Administrator
So from my very limited wiring knowledge I need to do the following...

Purple (P) = Ignition live through a 15 amp fuse <=== Get 12v to this via an ignition live....
Yellow Pink (YK) = Air bag Control unit <=== no idea... do I even need this?

Pink (K) = Goes to MEMS ECM (467) & ABS Control Unit 229 <=== join this wire to the same colour coming out at the other end of the 467 however I dont have an ABS control unit...
Black (B) = Earth <=== oooh I can do this one easy enough
Red Blue (RU) = Goes to Alarm ECU (752) <=== find the same coloured wire on the 752 unit and join
Orange Blue (OU) = Goes to Alarm ECU (752) <=== find the same coloured wire on the 752 unit and join

Then plug in my OBD2 reader and switch ignition to pos 1 and hope..

Does this seem about right?

Danny

Administrator
I wired it all in apart from one wire which was the yellow and pink and I got a link error... no idea what to do next.

ChaosMS

That pin out seems to be missing the rx/tx comms link line - or its going via one of the other lines somehow

Danny

Administrator
ChaosMS":1yyknxh4 said:
That pin out seems to be missing the rx/tx comms link line - or its going via one of the other lines somehow

It would appear that mine is early so cant be read with anything other tha n an MG reader... I have a friend with one so will see if that works and if my wiring is good enough

Danny

Administrator
Ok so a friend dropped the reader round and on friday I tried to get it to read and it was not having any of it.

However today I tried and actually followed on screen instructions and got the error codes....

So the good news is that I know my wiring works and also means I am 1 step closer to finding out what this fault it

Danny

Administrator
20190818_140414.jpg

I think the top error is an old error as in the early days the fans stopped and that was the sensor

Danny

Administrator
It is a start but after reading lots of forums the ambient sensor will kick out an error if it is not plugged in

Danny

Administrator
also I was told that the older ECU wont log the error of a misfire as well... so possibly diagnostic reader is pointless