Motorway law

1judge

Just out of interest, does anybody know what can and what can't be driven on the motorway, for example a quadzilla rl300? Only does 50mph max I think. What's the cut off? Is it based on cc? Top speed?
Obviously the buggy needs to be fully road legal, taxed, tested and insured but what if it's 150cc and only does 40mph top speed, goes without saying it would be ridiculously stupid to drive it on a motorway ,but is it legal? There are conflicting reports all over the net so if anyone can provide proof this may help.
???

Phaeton

Staff member
Must be greater than 50cc & not driven by a learner, if you look at any on slip road there is a full description. As far as I know there is no minium speed limits in the UK

Alan.

Glad it's an Android & not a Apple Gayphone

Steves2580

I thought it was 250cc, but Clarkson on Top Gear, took a 100cc two stroke converted quad on the motorway this series!
I think he called it the P45, as it was smaller then the Peel P50 :D

Iplayer I think!

Steve ;D

1judge

It was repeated yesterday in a 'best of ' programme. He did indeed, it was 100cc.
I'm surprised that there isn't a minimum speed requirement, for example, must be able to do 50 mph. Seems a bit dodgy to allow vehicles on that can only go 30/40 mph maximum on the motorway.
As far as I can see there are no definitive guidelines on the government website regarding speed but 50cc is the minimum , it states the following:

Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional motorcycle or car licences, riders of motorcycles under 50 cc, cyclists, horse riders, certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles, and powered wheelchairs/powered mobility scooters (see Rules 36 to 46 inclusive)
Laws HA 1980 sects 16, 17 & sch 4, MT(E&W)R regs 3(d), 4 & 11, MT(E&W)(A)R, R(S)A sects 7, 8 & sch 3, RTRA sects 17(2) & (3), & MT(S)R reg 10