Mr Bumble's Phaeton's Discussion Thread

Phaeton

Staff member
I feel violated, went to get tracking & camber done, £30 tracking, £25 camber, feels a lot better in a not so much fun type of way. Hit the loud pedal going onto a roundabout after a spirited entry & didn't even get much under-steer, it stuck like the proverbial to a blanket

Danny

Administrator
I just binned mine on a roundabout

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Phaeton":3m9oqswz said:
So Danny has sent me my new coilover shock absorbers, not going to get onto them until January but have a thought, he's sent a template for the mounting which mounts them like

But the question I have should they be that way, would it not be better to mount them so they oppose each other such as

View attachment 1

Well not exactly I would put some space between to allow some movement.
The top arms on front are offset.... so you would need to change them ad well

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

wagon_1.0

"But the question I have should they be that way, would it not be better to mount them so they oppose each other such as"

Surely if they are crooked then that's inviting forces that you don't want in there? I spent the start of the week thinking about similar things :D

WHat have you gone for in the coil over department?

ChaosMS

i would say aligned or opposed like the second picture then as Wagon says you avoid forces working at odd angles on the suspension mounts!

Phaeton

Staff member
Fixing all the images would be a mammoth task thanks to Photofuckupbucket

As to the lights, the 4 reds across the bottom are all side lights & brake lights, but the centre 2 double up as fog. Now I've got the big whoop ass LED's I may remove them all, but that means a new piece of plate & as church mice have more money than me it'll have to wait.

Phaeton

Staff member
These are the ones, they come without springs but reused standard ones from the buggy, Danny has the template or I can send you mine down.

20171110_143346.jpg

20171110_143353.jpg

20171110_143421.jpg

Danny

Administrator
the template worked fine.... you adjusted the opposite side to me... but to be honest it was only really made to mark up getting the center hole perfect :D

It is a massive inmprovement :D

I do need to adjust my nearside shock as it goes up and down a lot more than it should... not sure which way I am meant to twist the knob thing though

Phaeton

Staff member
Danny":3iryl6lv said:
I do need to adjust my nearside shock as it goes up and down a lot more than it should... not sure which way I am meant to twist the knob thing though
Assuming your springs are the same & you have them compressed initially the same amount then I would think you need to twist towards the +. Although it could be just down to unsprung weight, you're sat on one side so it will be compressed where the other side could bounce around a bit more. Once way to do it would be to get 4 sets of bathroom scales, put the buggy onto it, out 100Kgs in the drivers seat & then read each of the scales, adjusting the suspension till you get equal across the axles.

Danny

Administrator
Phaeton":2ofr48e1 said:
Danny":2ofr48e1 said:
Assuming your springs are the same & you have them compressed initially the same amount then I would think you need to twist towards the +. Although it could be just down to unsprung weight, you're sat on one side so it will be compressed where the other side could bounce around a bit more. Once way to do it would be to get 4 sets of bathroom scales, put the buggy onto it, out 100Kgs in the drivers seat & then read each of the scales, adjusting the suspension till you get equal across the axles.

You know I might just do that....

Do I need 4 scales though as I only have adjustment on the fronts

Phaeton

Staff member
You could check your across axle weight to see if there is a difference, normally they do all four, since putting the coilovers on as said at the weekend the front end push seems to be more prevalent than before, we all know they are light on the front, but after fitting shorter arms I had seemed to have dialled most of it out. But now it's returned, however thinking about it logically I have effectively lifted the front of the buggy which as the front arms top & bottom are not the same length I will have adjusted my camber.

I'll have to dig out Justin's excellent explanation of the front geometry & go get it checked/altered again problem is it'll be another £60

Danny

Administrator
Phaeton":1sefbtqu said:
You could check your across axle weight to see if there is a difference, normally they do all four, since putting the coilovers on as said at the weekend the front end push seems to be more prevalent than before, we all know they are light on the front, but after fitting shorter arms I had seemed to have dialled most of it out. But now it's returned, however thinking about it logically I have effectively lifted the front of the buggy which as the front arms top & bottom are not the same length I will have adjusted my camber.

I'll have to dig out Justin's excellent explanation of the front geometry & go get it checked/altered again problem is it'll be another £60

yeah I re did all my geometry and at present it all works well...

The only issue is pass side the wheel looks like it is going up and down more :D

So with the scales would you weigh both the fronts and get them the same?

Phaeton

Staff member
It might be worth weighing just to see what they weigh, traditionally the nearside wheel had to run on the worst part of the road, although I'm not sure that is the case these days. First thing might be to simply check that each shock is wound up the same amount & that they are the same number of clicks.