Need Wiring diagram for electronic ignition

Buggybloke

Hi! I've just put a 1275 engine into my buggy ;D, it came with electronic distributor, as per 1992 British Open Classic, and Carburettor, not injection. The old engine I had was a 998, out of a 1983 Mini, which had normal points ignition.... how do I wire up the newer stuff?  Can anyone email me an easy to follow (ie NOT the Haynes one!) wiring diagram, to help me? ??? ::)

cheers!

Matt - email is as follows        [email protected]

Phaeton

Staff member
Matt,

Does it have 2 wires going to it or 3? and do you have the fly lead that plugs onto it?

Alan...

Buggybloke

Righto, here we go!...original engine was points ignition,998cc.

I have fitted the late type 1275 cc carb engine, with standard electronic ignition, from a British Open Classic mini ........but somehow the wiring is confusing us.

The starter is the later type with piggy-back solenoid,-does this still need a seperate starter relay? - the little square one usually bolted to the inner wing of a mini.

The Electronic Distributor has a module attached to the side with 2 wires.
We have fitted the correct electronic coil.

There is now no power at all when the battery is re-connected, (battery is fully charged) I really need a better, easier to understand diagram, than the Haynes Manual one.
If you could email me a photo of how the wires connect onto the relay (-if we need it), and onto the Starter Solenoid,.....We seem to have too many wires left over, when the solenoid is wired up....but not enough to wire onto the starter relay terminals,(-if we did fit it)

(The buggy was driving ok before, execept for blown head gasket.)

Kind regards,

Matt Kill

My email is as follows......  [email protected]

esdebe

Ok, the starter solenoid doesn't need a separate solenoid if you have one of the later type ones (a big cylinder with a smaller cylinder to the side of it)  There should be a large screw terminal on it that you connect the battery too,  there should then be a large spade terminal connector that take a  connection from the starter relay (ignition switch)  There may also be a small spade terminal on it, this is usually to give the coil a boost (full 12 V) while the starter is turning the engine over when you use a bailistered coil.

I hope this helps.

Simon