New Upcoming Insurance Rules

Phaeton

Staff member
As there maybe children reading this forum I will not put what I actually feel, but needless to say I am not impressed. Just another way to make the law abiding ones pay more & the scum that run around with no tax/insurance/MOT it will not affect.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
I cant see the problem....

the vehicle has to be either taxed or sorn.... so when you dont use teh car in teh winter you sorn it???

Mine is insured all year round

Phaeton

Staff member
But they do not send out SORN reminders, so you go away travelling, your insurance runs out whilst you are away, then the SORN runs out & you get stuffed for not having it SORN & no insurance. As I said if they spent more time chasing the scum & leave the law abiding citizens alone. But that is pencil pushers way, take on the easy target.

Alan...

BRUC3

This new law annoys the hell out of me!!!

It wont make no difference what so ever!

Its just another lazy way for the government to make money as they know full well that people will forget to update it!

Phaeton

Staff member
Here's an example Danny, in real life, that we have just discovered after reading the link.

My son Matt has a Suzuki Vitara which he has modified, 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift & fudging huge tyres, basically it will go just about anywhere when they go off-roading, however down side is 20mpg under normal running.

So he's bought himself a very nice MR2 MK1, he wants to run both, but work is short so he took the insurance off the Vit & put it on the MR2. So by following the rules & having a legal car on the road, the MR2 is taxed, tested & insured, the Vit now sat on my drive, it's taxed, tested but not insured, so theoretically it is now illegal & he's liable to a fine.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
surely just send the tax disk off and declare it sorn... you get money back then....

I kinder see his point but your wasting money having a taxed car sat on the drive... maybe its just me being tight :)

Phaeton

Staff member
So what happens now then, he's already paid for this months tax, if he hands it in now he won't get back dated to the beginning on the month, they won't take into account number of days & pro-rata him some of what's left of the month. Then if he can afford the insurance next month he has to re-apply for a new tax disc which will be backdated to the beginning of the month. It just seems like a lot of red tape for no gain, I wonder what the actual end-game is?

Alan...