Northern Buggy Run

Mini Mad Max

How many miles a day do you tend to cover on the Wales trip? Also, how many days of driving are we aiming to cover?

The lakes are gonna be congested with slow driving tourists after 9am til about 8-9pm every day in June/July. I propose we do a dawn circuit of the best mountain passes in the lakes, then maybe some gentle sight-seeing to round off the Lakes.

Next up would be Pennines, shooting out to Brough from the Lakes on the A66 then up through Middleton in Teesdale and on to Alston (Epic road with a couple very nice waterfalls en-route). From there, we could go down and back up Hartside Pass just because it's there. I'd then continue along the top of the pennines to the borders.

A cruise through Kielder up to Selkirk. Then Selkirk to Moffat (Another epic road). From Moffat it would be worth cutting across the A74(M) to join up a couple of roads in Galloway Forest Park. These roads in the borders have been a regular setting for Evo Car of the Year.

With a bit of care and attention, I reckon that could be arranged into a mighty fun route! All the roads mentioned have been tried and tested with the old man in his S2K :D

EDIT: Also, it would be nice if those attending stopped by mine one evening for a BBQ, beers and a chuckle at my pile of parts ;)

ChaosMS

Blimey Max sounds like youve already sorted it mate, I will set to and see what I can do to link it up and see whats available overnight wise, will also need to check mine will make it up a couple of those passes due to width and lack of power (Knew I should of put a bigger engine in it :'( )

Mini Mad Max

ChaosMS":302d0czm said:
Blimey Max sounds like youve already sorted it mate, I will set to and see what I can do to link it up and see whats available overnight wise, will also need to check mine will make it up a couple of those passes due to width and lack of power (Knew I should of put a bigger engine in it :'( )

Haha! There have been a fair few early morning outings at the weekends when I've been home over the last couple of years ;)

Overnight-wise, for the lakes section I'd recommend camping at Waterside House campsite by Ullswater. You can walk to Pooley Bridge where there are a couple excellent pubs, and it's right by the lake so it's very pretty!

I think the route can be made so it goes on no single-track, so your buggy should have no problem with width. As for the power issue, I thought you were going to remedy that!! :D

ChaosMS

Yeah yeah I know you all did!!! - Thing is now do I risk it and replace the engine or stick with it for the moment on the basis that I'm going to sell her to fund the MK3??

Mini Mad Max

Don't sell it! You've barely driven the thing. Address the power first. You may find the improved performance scratches the itch you have to build another for the meantime ;)

Phaeton

Staff member
Will the 1.6 not just drop in with a change of driveshafts or does the hubs have to be changed as well?

ChaosMS

Looking at the gearbox for the 1.5 / 1.6 they look very similar so it should be a simple swap possibly requiring new ends to the driveshafts if the new gearbox has more splines on the cv's, the main issue is that the engine isnt the only thing that needs to change, the ECU will need to change which means I will have to change the immobilizer (as they are linked via code) this also means the steering column or at least the key barrel will also need to change so that it can use the new key with the new chip in it (linked to the immobilizer) all the engine loom will also need replacing and I will need to build a new side exit exhaust manifold to attach to the rest of the exhaust system.
So quite a bit of work, not too much but enough to make me consider it carefully!!

Danny

Administrator
doing the k series swap is the bets thing... its now like I have not ever been to wales.... soooo much fun :D