Not sure what this is

tiggersmini

Hi Guys
Next to my coil is a white block with two terminals, one coming from the dizzy and the other going to the coil, is this a ballast resistor???
Photobucket not working so cant load up any picts, will try again tomorrow.
Cheers
Boyd
Some picts

015.jpg

014.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
Don't think it will be a ballast resistor as that is in the main feed from the 12V supply of the buggy, it limits the coil to 9V except for starting where there is a bypass.

Alan...

esdebe

Yes it is a ballast resistor, I have an identical one, and I even start on 9V.. well in the summer, in the winter I find I need to bypass it and give the coil 12V anyway....

It does however sound like it isn't wired correctly.  You should have a 12V coming to one terminal on the ballast resistor, and then the other terminal (now showing about 9V) would go to the coil.  If you have your dizzy (points) connected to it you are giving them 9V rather than 12 V this may not present any real performance or running issues, however they are designed to operate at 12V.  If your coil on the  other hand should be ballasted and would overheat if not then you should rewire it to get its supply through the ballast resistor.  If everything is running OK without the coil being ballasted you could remove it and save a few grams...  Just move the points connector directly to the coil.