not very quick

bought a blitz buggy 2 weeks ago have fitted new starter but i am finding it quick to accelerate to about 40 in first 3 gears then in 4th it seems reluctant to go passed 50 - 55mph its a 1300 cooper s engine i have put new plugs in, its running a webber style sidedraught 45? and seems to drink alot of fuel.

it is running 205/60/13 tyres on rear and 185/60/13 front tyre pressures are 25 all round, have checked timing seems ok. i will be changing carb to a hif44 when rebuild kit arrives on monday and its in for new wheel bearings and tracking on wednesday any suggestions to gain more speed please

Danny

Administrator
strange.....

mine gets to 70 very quick but bottoms out but I reckon that is due to gearing and small wheels

what size wheels and tyres you running because normal mini is good for 85ish and buggy is lighter or am i expecting to much from it

Danny

Administrator
I am using the 13 inch low profile ones :D cant remember off the top of my head.... 185 70 13 rings a bell though....

Phaeton

Staff member
Danny you're running 185/55x13,

If it's topping out at 55 I would suggest you have a look at what diff is fitted, depends what the previous owner wanted if for. If they used it mainly for off-road then 55 was probably faster than they needed. If may have a diff from a van fitted.

When I had the 1275 it was capable of 80-85 unfortunately the driver hadn't balls big enough to maintain it for more a than a few seconds. That was running 175/70x13's, just looked at one of the tyre size comparison sites & your 205/60x13 are virtually the same size.

Alan...

Phaeton":d2mozkcf said:
Danny you're running 185/55x13,

If it's topping out at 55 I would suggest you have a look at what diff is fitted, depends what the previous owner wanted if for. If they used it mainly for off-road then 55 was probably faster than they needed. If may have a diff from a van fitted.

When I had the 1275 it was capable of 80-85 unfortunately the driver hadn't balls big enough to maintain it for more a than a few seconds. That was running 175/70x13's, just looked at one of the tyre size comparison sites & your 205/60x13 are virtually the same size.

Alan...

hi alan thanks for advise i had a fiddle at weekend i tried timing it by timing light and got no better results but on sunday i fiddled with dizzy and got it to sound as if it was right and then went and tested it and did get 80mph for a short stint will try again once wheel bearings and tracking is done on wednesday and will fit rebuilt carb as soon as the refurb kit turns up. seemed to handle the A and B roads really and ok on the motorway stint. did you used to own this buggy that i own now would be good to find out some history