Rear Disc Conversion

mud68

Jason not sure about filling the holes with weld, some one else might have the answer for that.

Thought I would share a few problems I have had with this conversion to prevent others having the same issues.
Make sure you machine both sides (flat) and cut into the hub enough to allow for the bolt head to turn and ideally fit a washer underneath to spread the load over the insert you have to fit.
Don't forget to machine the bolts down so they don't rub on the disc (the thread is 1mm not standard 1.5mm if you have to buy some).
Early Mk2's have a 36mm dia piston (upto '88?), later models have 38mm - bleed nipple & handbrake adjustment different. Go for 36mm if your doing the mk2 conversion. GSF sell them but there not on their online catalogue.
This one really got me - bleeding the brakes - if you can't get a hard pedal but there doesn't appear to air in the system, even after you have turned the calipers around with the bleed nipple facing up; you might have air trapped in the m/c. Mine drained down and when i refilled it air got trapped in the m/c - it's mounted on a angle. Had to take it off again and bleed it on the bench then refit it see this for details http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOuDEiwiozQ
Lastly, if you fit new pads and discs make sure your pads are 15mm thick or less - I had the optional 16v version which are 16mm thick - you will never get them in :mad:. I didn't know there were 2 version - thank God for Google.
Been working on them tonight - nearly there.

I do have a spare set of machined hubs - bought them of Biddleboy (Steve), used them as a guide for mine if anyone is interested in them. Sorry for the long post.
Shaun

Phaeton

Staff member
Nice one Shaun

Live & Learn, never knew that about dual M/C's, I'm still not 100% happy with pedal feel, I reckon that could be the reason. But how do you ensure that you don't get any air back into the M/C after you've bled it. Once you undo the pipes won't that allow air back into it??

Alan...

mud68

I left the bleed pipes on the m/c and fitted it to the car, then pumped m/c a few times to make sure there were no more bubbles. refitted the car brake lines, then bleed the whole system. According to the video clip the air gets stuck at the front of the m/c - if its on the bench and flat the air will come out. On the buggy its angled which is what causes the problem.
Only rolled it up and down the garage so far to try them out - maybe another week or 2 and I will be able try it out on the road. Desperate to get it on the road and drive it again.

555ken

Has anyone used later Golf Brakes ?

MK1/2 are getting a bit rare in the scrapyards and on ebay.

Phaeton

Staff member
Ken,

Not that I am aware of, not sure how different they are might be worth a search on a Golf forum to see what they update them with. I do have a spare pair of callipers in the workshop, but don't have the carriers.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

I used golf mk4 calipers! I handed my hubs to an engineering shop to get the lugs redrilled with new inserts to move the brake pad area inwards onto the disc and they fit no problem :)
Max

555ken

20140855.JPG

Finally acquired a pair.