Registration.

hagar

If I get a freestyle with the V5 from the dona car what is the next step for registration and how difficult is it.
Thanks
Dave

Phaeton

Staff member
I'm assuming that the V5 is for a Mini, if that is the case then you still need to IVA the chassis, all the V5 will assist you in really is getting you an age related plate rather than a Q plate.

Danny

Administrator
hagar":1s8w7b39 said:
If I get a freestyle with the V5 from the dona car what is the next step for registration and how difficult is it.
Thanks
Dave

As Alan says... it is quite a headache and not as cheap as it use to be :-\

250buggys

Also if v5 is pre '92 I think you can get away with no cat, please correct me if i am wrong?

Phaeton

Staff member
Not right I'm afraid it's based on the engine age, I have a 1983 registered buggy with a 2000 engine built in 2009 & that needs a cat officially

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
My old 1979 reg buggy didn't. .. but then it was deemed as new in 2003

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

250buggys

Can someone please confirm, is the engine age obtained by the engine number and if so do you need to supply info other than the log book to the dvla when registering as the engine age is not listed in the v5c

Lilspeed

250buggys":3hejhsie said:
Can someone please confirm, is the engine age obtained by the engine number and if so do you need to supply info other than the log book to the dvla when registering as the engine age is not listed in the v5c

As far as I know the only acceptable proof of engine age is the V5c from the engine donor. For mine they just checked the engine number matched the paperwork.

Danny

Administrator
Lilspeed":32l3chcj said:
250buggys":32l3chcj said:

As far as I know the only acceptable proof of engine age is the V5c from the engine donor. For mine they just checked the engine number matched the paperwork.

yup that was the same for me as well :D

250buggys

OK thanks that confirms what I thought, so if you had a doner (1968 for example) that pre dated emissions testing does that mean you can then use this and avoid having a cat? Also reading the iva manual by pass the emissions test on iva and mot? Just need some clarification on this.

Phaeton

Staff member
Depends what engine you fit, if it's the engine that was in the 1968 vehicle them yes. If you explain what you're intending to do we can answer without having to 2nd guess

250buggys

Isn't 2nd guessing much more fun though??

Going back to what I originally said

Also if v5 is pre '92 I think you can get away with no cat, please correct me if I am wrong?

Not right I'm afraid it's based on the engine age, I have a 1983 registered buggy with a 2000 engine built in 2009 & that needs a cat officially

The V5 from the pre 92 doner would be pre cat & you wouldn't need to install a cat, as confirmed the engine age is determined from the v5.

Are you saying when you re-engined your 1983 buggy with a 2000 engine you were then expected to fit a cat?

I would assume that the 1983 buggy v5 would not change to include a cat just because another newer engine has been retro fitted. Surely this is all dealt with at the registration period.

Have you fitted a cat?

When you take your buggy for an MOT do they check the emissions any differently now than when it had the 1983 engine?

Phaeton

Staff member
Okay so if you have a V5C from a pre 1992 car and you intend to use the A series engine as shown on the V5C in the buggy then you will not need a cat. If you use another engine which is not on the V5C then separately you will have to prove the age of the engine to the both VOSA at the time of the IVA so they know what limits to set & then to DVLA for registration.

My own situation is that when I did the SVA & registration in 2009 I used the engine that was listed on the V5C, told then that I had used the engine, gearbox (no choice on A series) along with steering column/rack along with suspension parts & brakes, this was enough to convince the lady at DVLA that it could go on an age related plate. Since then however I have removed the 1987 A series & fitted a K series from a 2000 MGF I have a cat fitted & yes at MOT time it gets tested as a 2000 car, although the garage I take all my cars to is clued up & does things correctly. Currently on the V5C it is still registered as a 1275cc, I did try last year to advise them that I had fitted a 1796cc engine, however failed, I gave them 8 weeks to do a simple task before I needed to tax it get back on the road. But by the time I needed to tax it they still hadn't done it, so I rang them & asked what to do, I was advised to tax it & they would then just send me a invoice for the difference. However they rejected the application as I had taxed it FFS, they also needed proof of the engine by either AA, RAC or some official body since then I haven't got round to doing it.

Phaeton

Staff member
Just another thought, if the engine that is in your pre '92 is not the one that is on the V5C then before you go down the route of registration it would be better to get the V5C sorted. My original donor was a 1000cc but I was building the buggy with a 1275cc so I advised DVLA that the 1275cc was fitted to the donor, which technically it was although it was never driven as such. If you fitted a post '93 injection engine with the injectors then you would need a cat, however I 'think' that if you fitted a post '93 but using the carburettor you should be okay.

hagar

From reading the DVLA website, if the vehicle is more than 10 years old is does not have to be inspected. My donor V5 is 1982 and the Freestyle kit was purchased from ABS by the previous owner in 1999. Can any body clarify this for me.
Thanks

250buggys

Alan can you shed any light on this? I would have thought reference to the iva manual rules in this instance?

Phaeton

Staff member
SVA came in in 1998 so as far a I see it that would have required an SVA therfore it will need an IVA, but feel free to email them for clarification

danny2

Administrator
Staff member
hagar":mx797s41 said:
From reading the DVLA website, if the vehicle is more than 10 years old is does not have to be inspected. My donor V5 is 1982 and the Freestyle kit was purchased from ABS by the previous owner in 1999. Can any body clarify this for me.
Thanks
Will be interesting to find out

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk