Reverse lights

robcoles

Would my metro gearbox have a reverse light switch?
Or is it easier to fit a toggle switch to turn reverse lights on & off ?

Phaeton

Staff member
Yes it would have had a reverse light switch, it's up the front though not on the gearbox. Do you know which way around your gearstick housing is? Does it look like this, or is it still original?

2010-04-03171310.jpg

I personally hate having them in a manual switch because with all the will in the world you will at some point leave them switched on, I also feel the modification gives you a better gear change feel & reverse is more positive as it is the way it was designed to work. If you want to do the mod let me know & I'll explain more, it was in Bumbles build diary but with photofuckupbucket deleting all the images it makes no sense.

robcoles

Phaeton":3lx3j7fr said:
Yes it would have had a reverse light switch, it's up the front though not on the gearbox. Do you know which way around your gearstick housing is? Does it look like this, or is it still original?

I personally hate having them in a manual switch because with all the will in the world you will at some point leave them switched on, I also feel the modification gives you a better gear change feel & reverse is more positive as it is the way it was designed to work. If you want to do the mod let me know & I'll explain more, it was in Bumbles build diary but with photofuckupbucket deleting all the images it makes no sense.

I really don’t know what way around my gearstick hoping is. Tbh I wasn’t aware it could be changed, so would presume it’s still original. I’m just starting a 12 hour shift so wouldn’t be able to check right now , but will as soon as I get the chance.
What’s the advantage to changing it & is there a lot of work involved?

Phaeton

Staff member
You take off the bottom of the housing, 4x screws, knock out the roll pins on the rods, spin the housing, rods back in, roll pins back in, you may have to spin the plate on the bottom can't remember now. But once you have done that the reversing switch hole is back where it ought to be , so you can insert a switch & it will work when selecting reverse. Down side you will have to make new mountings, it really should have been designed this way from the beginning.

robcoles

Phaeton":3hcmpn3r said:
You take off the bottom of the housing, 4x screws, knock out the roll pins on the rods, spin the housing, rods back in, roll pins back in, you may have to spin the plate on the bottom can't remember now. But once you have done that the reversing switch hole is back where it ought to be , so you can insert a switch & it will work when selecting reverse. Down side you will have to make new mountings, it really should have been designed this way from the beginning.

Doesn’t sound overly complicated.
I have a mechanic friend doing my electrics atm.
I’m working 60 hour weeks so no time to do anything else.
I think I’ll pass this information on and get him to
Take a look for me.
Thanks