second opinion required.... maybe electronic ignition fault?

Buggybloke

after a couple of days of no driving in buggy, (Blitz2, 1275cc with standard electronic ign module on dazzy), I went out for a ride, been raining very heavy for 2 days... all seemed ok-ish, slight misfire occurring but only under load, i.e. brisk acceleration, ... but almost unnoticeable at idle.... anyway did about 10 miles and decided I find some cover(petrol stn forecourt), to investigate further,.... all plug leads/coil leads secure/dry. so I turned off to check for cracks or splits in plug leads, all ok, -go to start again and no spark, WHATSOEVER!.... hence I was stranded. -time 4.30pm*......, yesterday afternoon I'm thinking the ign module (2years old) has gone kaput..... any second opinions welcome please.
Due to the inefficiency of the AA control, I had 2 Roadside Assistance Vans turn up, 1 hr, and then 2 hrs after breaking down, and then, finally a recovery vehicle rolls up at 9.15pm*.... almost 5 hours later! (I'd initially said to AA on 1st phonecall, will probably need recovery, due to my initial diagnosis)

I've ordered a module, just in case it is that... £26.50, not too bad, I suppose. If its not, then I'm stumped, as I put new coil, cap and rotor arm on 2 months ago....

Am feeling a bit annoyed.... and that's an understatement! :-\

Buggybloke

just got back ftom the car spares emporium*..... I have new module, assorted mini/micro spanners(to undo fixing bolts), and a new multimeter... to check for volts in various places....
My local * is EXTREMELY good, as I can get stuff, -if it turns out I don't need it, thay give me full refund!... thay also lend me some special tools for free, if they have them....

Danny

Administrator
yeah the AA left me stranded for 5 hours once and I got saoked I yelled at the bird down the phone and I got £50 cheque through the post and they paid for my dinner and drinks in the evening as well....lol

Buggybloke

sort of a result... I phoned AA today, to complain, and they agreed to send out a Roadside guy.... he searched, and searched.... 1.5 hrs later diagnosis= broken track in printed circuit on instruments!... this stopped  Ign warning light from lighting up, and battery was only powerful enough to just about run ignition... so when I turned off, and tried to re-start it couldn'nt cope with starter and ignition together.... so he did a temporary repair with a length of wire with a bulb soldered in it from Alternator to ignition live on fusebox... am now sourcing a new printed circuit for my 1984  3 clock instrument panel.....

Danny

Administrator
wahoo thats a bit of a result... at least he found the problem.... it can be pot luck with AA guys some are really passionate about cars and some just do it as a JOB......

Buggybloke

arrrrgh! ..... nobody in the world has a circuit board to match my one!, well not new, anyway!... and I can only find late model 3 clock sets on evilBay, which don't seem to have a space for the voltage stabilizer to plug into..... does any one know if the later type is compatible with the earlier Clubman/1275 GT type 3 clock loom and plug etc, as there a few of these on the 'bay', at vastly varying prices.... I'm looking for a straight forward quick replacement if possible,(I know it could be done with wire and solder etc), as wiring/electrics is not my strongpoint. :-\

For info, if you think you may have one kicking about:
Where my multi plug is fitted, the plug seems to be fairly horizontal, the circuit has a section which goes up behind the rev-counter for the bulbs in it, and a section which folds below the temp/fuel guage, where the voltage regulator fits......