Spare Wheel Options

Phaeton

Staff member
Failure always leads to a redesign, so I'm looking at carrying a spare wheel, where to put it is the question, 4 options I think,

1. On 'roof' above the drivers head, not sure I like that.

2. On the engine tray

20160730_144636.jpg

3. Above the engine angles with the 2x bars

20160730_144602.jpg

4. At the rear above the exhaust, inside the bumper

20160730_144838.jpg

Advantages of 2 & 3 are they are fairly easy to do, no lights have to move, disadvantage is rearward vision.
Advantage of 4 is rearward vision is maintained although there might be some loss, disadvantages it's a lot more work, possible heat issue from exhaust, probably have to buy all new rear lights & make new mountings.

Radar

Alan why not side mount it land rover desert style see pic 4 above last set of lights on right hand side bracketed to down tube that braces rear tubing where all the lights are mounted
Have seen it before and it looks ok and the wheel is relatively small by most standards so should not look like a great big lump on the side ?

just my two cents worth

Radar

Phaeton

Staff member
I intend to have a front as spare which will also work as a rear there's 20mm difference but that should be okay as a get me home/garage.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ChaosMS

My option would be no.3 Alan, simple brackets to make and to get your rear vision back use a rear facing camera - ive added 2 to the rear of mine and they both hook up to a screen that clips over the rear view mirror - big advantage is they are also night vision cameras! mount the camera on the same frame as the wheel and pull a 12 volt power supply for it and your sorted, the camera i used with screen was:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-BUS-T...103607?hash=item337d373ab7:g:0ygAAOSwMmBV5rza

Phaeton

Staff member
I like that idea very much Rich, have you fitted this yet, just concerned that the monitor might no last very long in the rather hostile environment of my exterior interior mirror.

ChaosMS

Hi Alan, sorry for not getting back to you sooner been on my hols!! - So yeah I have fitted the cameras and screen works really well but as you said its up in stream of all the crap flying towards you - I also think that mine is a little too close to me when i have a helmet on - bad design on my part for the mounting position of the rear view mirror - the screen itself has a speaker grill on the back which could let in all the rubbish and rain, so I was going to come up with either a new mounting solution for it that would cover the speaker grill and offer a little more protection or create a simple cover for the back of the screen by warming up a little clear plastic and shaping it over the rear of the screen - there is no heat so it should be fine

If you want I can take some photos of the camera installation and the screen front and back

Cheers

Rich