Starting/charging circuit

Ferdy

Can anyone let me have a diagram so I can wire my son's buggy up only needs the basics no lights or anything like that just put the key in and start and charge.

Thanks

Ferdy

Phaeton

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Ferdy, you don't say what type of buggy you have, as this will determine what type of diagram/wiring you need.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Ferdy,

Do you have an ignition switch that you want to use or do you just want switches? Do you have any of the Mini wiring or will you be building this from scratch? Is the alternator a standard 3 wire one & do you have the connector? Is it a ballast coil 9v or a none ballast 12v?

Alan...

Ferdy

Hi Alan

I don't have an ignition switch just a push to start. It has a normal 12v coil as far as I know, and a standard 3 wire alternator. I have no wiring at all. Basically my son was building this but has moved on to a Land Rover, and left dad to finish the buggy and try and recover some of £8k I have spent on this, yes £8k everything is new, it was planned to SVA this but I just need to get it finished and sold.

Thanks

Ferdy

Phaeton

Staff member
Ferdy,

I don't have a diagram but over the next couple of nights will work one out for you. I'll make it as simplistic as I can. However I would consider abandoning it now & not put any further money into it, you are not going to get anymore back for it.

Alan...

Ferdy

Alan

Thanks for your help, It's a pride thing I think, I want to see it run!

I might take it round a local track and then either sell or swap it, might take it to a kit car show and see if I get any interest, it should look the dogs nuts when it's finished.

Thanks again

Regards

Ferdy

Phaeton

Staff member
Ferdy,

No worries, it'll only be a couple of switches & a couple of warning lights, but should make it run. Where are you based?

Alan...

Ferdy

Hi Alan

Outwell in Norfolk, between Downham Market and Wisbech.

If you can, would you add cable sizes too.

Thanks

Ferdy

Phaeton

Staff member
Ferdy,

Sorry no nice drawing via autocad or anything but should work

Basic_Wiring.jpg

If it's not clear enough just put http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j81/g ... Wiring.jpg into a browser & then holding the Ctrl key down scroll the mouse wheel it will zoom in.

As to wire sizes, not my forte, but earth from battery & engine need to be BIG, along with the battery to starter , the 2 from alternator down to starter motor want to be 30A each the rest can be 16A. you may also want to consider putting a fuse in on the wire from the battery to the ignition switch. Also if you have a 3 wire electronic distributor, you will need another wire from the + terminal of the coil to the distributor. The switches don't have to be anything special as the relay is taking all the current, that needs to be 30A.

Hope that all makes sense

Alan...

Ferdy

Alan

Thanks you very much for this, all looks simple enough, any particular type of relay?

Regards

Ferdy

Phaeton

Staff member
Nope just any standard 12V 30A relay 30,86,85,87 pins, that's probably overkill you could easily get away with a 20A

Alan...

Ferdy

Thanks Alan

I'll let you know how I get on, be a couple of weeks I guess, depends on the weather!

Thanks again

Regards

Ferdy