Steering wheel removal

Teifion57

Just taken my buggy for tracking after renewing steering rack and was told won’t pass mot with it being spot on at 12 o clock now sat at 20 past,
Try as I might can’t get it off any ideas
Would be appreciated

250buggys

I got mine off ok with a 27mm socket, try soaking the nut with wd40 over night. Failing that you should be able to get the wheel straight by adjusting the track rod ends both by the same increment. Use masking tape as a marker so the alignment isnt knocked out.

250buggys

Teifion57":24je5q34 said:
I got the nut off quite easily,it’s getting the wheel off the splines.

A rubber mallet will help if the nut is off, any signs of corrosion?

Teifion57

I’ve had a three pronged puller,lump hammer and a little heat still no joy,think I will have to lose some on the track rod ends,

Phaeton

Staff member
You've tried all my suggestions, I would have also said put the nut back on slightly so that if it does suddenly move it doesn't smack you
in the face. Whoever said it won't pass the test is wrong, ask them to show you in the manual where it says the wheel has to be at 12 o'clock https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 7-vehicles. Only thing it does is screw up the self cancelling indicators which aren't tested anyway. But if you have already swapped the rack the easy way is as said, set the wheels dead straight, remove steering column from rack rotate the wheel & put it back on again.

Danny

Administrator
I think I used a bar and a nut and bolt too press the steering wheel off... then greased it

Teifion57

Well I argued with mot tester and been given failure for all the rear suspension,better not to argue,said rubber ball joint covers have perushef

250buggys

That sounds about right, any boots with cracks etc are mot fail. Parts are cheap enough on eBay if you do it yourself.

250buggys

Yer I did all mine, tip remember to save the old shims and the spare shims as you will probably need them one day. I put mine in a press seal bag covered in light machine oil to stop the rust.

Danny

Administrator
250buggys":1aiw4itz said:
Yer I did all mine, tip remember to save the old shims and the spare shims as you will probably need them one day. I put mine in a press seal bag covered in light machine oil to stop the rust.

I thought I was the only one to do that