Steering Wheel Size

collie

I've been browsing Binbay recently and seen I can get a nice steering wheel for next to nothing!
Quandry I have is wheel size...
I'm looking at Classic styled Mountney wheels, but some are 12" and some are 13".
What size are you guys using and are there any pro/cons to a smaller/larger wheel?

Phaeton

Staff member
Seem to think  I use an 11" wheel, advantages are more leg room to get in, disadvantage heavier steering.

Alan...

jason_l

As Alan has said, more legroom with a smaller wheel but not good for high speeds.

Larger wheel is more stable at high speeds but less leg room.

I picked up a beat of a wheel from Halfrauds, brand new £20 as the box looked tatty! Don't know the actual size of my wheel but its not big  ::)

collie

jason_l":r2cdxugc said:
As Alan has said, more legroom with a smaller wheel but not good for high speeds.

Larger wheel is more stable at high speeds but less leg room.

I picked up a beat of a wheel from Halfrauds, brand new £20 as the box looked tatty! Don't know the actual size of my wheel but its not big  ::)
I don't actually know if my buggy will pass IVA since I know I'm aiming post April 2010, so high speeds might not even be a problem, never mind low!
I'm watching a bunch of wheels, 12", with one being 11". Looking to pay out maximum of £20 incl. boss. Wish me luck.

Phaeton

Staff member
Don't forget you'll need a collapsible boss, not just a normal one, but we could always swap for the test.

Alan...

collie

Phaeton":13kqcops said:
Don't forget you'll need a collapsible boss, not just a normal one, but we could always swap for the test.

Alan...
hmalan":13kqcops said:
I have a Classic Mountney in the garage.

If you don't get what you are bidding on let me know

Alan
Gents, will let you know how I get on, thanks!

Paul

For anyone looking for an answer to a compatible steering wheel for the IVA i found a neat solution for my SVA test. A mazda MX5 has a momo steering wheel with a removable padded centre. The bolt pattern is the same as the mountney boss allowing you to fit the collapsable boss on your column with a type approved padded wheel which should satisfy the examiner. You probably don't want to keep the wheel in the long run because it is about 14" making getting in and out difficult but what you do after the test is of course up to you. The wheels go on evil bay for about £10-£15 so could make a cheap easy fix. :)

collie

Managed to get a nice 12", £20.  :p
I'll no doubt be making a nice IVA pad to spoil the look!  :-[

Phaeton

Staff member
All I did with mine was chamfer the ali to make sure it had 2.5mmish edges didn't cover anything up.

Alan...

collie

Phaeton":2jmwyh7c said:
All I did with mine was chamfer the ali to make sure it had 2.5mmish edges didn't cover anything up.

Alan...
Thanks Alan, I just need permission from SWMBO to go potter in the garage when I am back in Blighty.
I still need to find or borrow a collapsible boss though I guess.  :-\

jason_l

collie":osbkyw3u said:
Phaeton":osbkyw3u said:

Alan...
Thanks Alan, I just need permission from SWMBO to go potter in the garage when I am back in Blighty.

Second mine passes IVA i will be removing my boss Collie for a removable version, only problem is i think your going for roughly the same time IVA as me???

collie

jason_l":28kumesi said:
collie":28kumesi said:
Phaeton":28kumesi said:

Alan...

Second mine passes IVA i will be removing my boss Collie for a removable version, only problem is i think your going for roughly the same time IVA as me???
Well, if you're not using it, I will gladly borrow/buy it! I am likely not to finish anywhere near April, at the rate I am building it could be April 2011, I have a million and one things to do in preparation for the arrival of a VIP!
Not to mention build the IKEA furniture which will no doubt not be an easy or short task!  :D