Structual Integrity

jason_l

Hi Everyone,

Bit of a random one this. Right, my plan is to make the side panels from ABS plastic as its cheap, light and very easy to work with. Now my plan to fit the side panels using well nuts and some dome headed stainless bolts along the side. The well nuts require a 10mm hole for them to fit into. Now here is my problem, is drilling a load of 10mm holes along the frame rails going to weaken the chassis? Im thinking i might need to make some brackets that can be welded to the frame so the well nuts won't weaken the chassis, or am i just over thinking this?

Jason :)

ChaosMS

Jason, what size are the frame rails? - to be honest I would avoid drilling any holes in the main frame rails, much better to make brackets and weld them in!

Rich

Radar

Hi Jason ,

I think your idea to weld some 2 or 3 mm thick tabs in place at the point the bolts go through the box section is not a bad idea the 25mm box section is only 2 mm thick as I recall ? (can't really remember ) so doubling up and a bit don't hurt and welded properly (all sides of tabs ) will definately do the job and spread the loading and counteract the sheer forces the bolts may put on the very thin box section.Whatever you decide post some pics will be interesting to see them.

good luck

Radar

Steves2580

Hey Jason,

I'd Defo weld in plates/tabs!
Drilling the rails will weaken the structure and also allow moisture to get in!

Weld in some huge girders, you need loads of weight putting in, so that Mary can still win our race ;D

Steve ;D

jason_l

Thanks for the replies people. :)

I had already sort of decided to add some tabs. Dont think im going to add too much weight with a few tabs here and there. Now do i get them laser cut or simply buy a piece of steel and cut it all up and drill a load of holes in it? Mmmmmm time or money?

Jason

Steves2580

Jason,

I believe theres' a sale on, you can buy a 6 metre length of 300 x 25 FLT for approx £250.00 ;)

You'll need at least two lengths ;D

It's really light weight stuff ::)

Steve ;D