Stupid question...

BRUC3

My friend bought a 1967 Type 1 Beetle a few months back on a whim!

Basically hes just got it to his house, and isnt quite sure what he wants to do with it! After a bit of poking the car doesnt seem as bad as first thought...

Few patches here and there to be welded up, then the body would be mot'able!

Basically he's asked me to help get it started after freeing up the brakes, but im not sure if its a 6v battery or a 12v! Its an awkward model as this was a 1 year model, where they transferred the newer 1500 engine, but kept most of the type 1 body!

So my question to you is....... if I rig up a 12v battery, and it turns out to be a 6v will it just pop a few fuses, or would it cause any more damage?

Were going to do it step by step, but obviously the 1st thing is power! I have a 12v battery laying about so thought i'd ask before he goes out and spend £50 on a 6v!!!

Phaeton

Staff member
I would check the coil to see if it has anything written on it, also I suspect at that age it has a dynamo & regulator box look for model numbers to google. Take a bulb out & see if there is any marking. I suspect it might be 6V BUT somebody could always have done the conversion in the past.

Alan...

BRUC3

Turns out the original owners handbook is in the car, and indeed is a 6v!

Any way we can try and fire the old girl up without spending another 50 notes on a battery?!

We've cleaned all the points, rigged up a petrol can to save pulling loads of crap through and now we just need a battery!