Sylva Mojo build

Danny

Administrator
SO I bought a Ford Puma 1.7 Clutch Flywheel and clutch from the fleecbay for £38 That will fit my gearbox

s-l500.jpg

I then bought a clutch kit to fit a 1.8 ford focus and that comes with the slave cylinder as well for £69

s-l1600.jpg

I have also bought the Gear selector part from an MGF with the cable brackets as well... for £9.60

50086321_1620525164758414_6740825152436568064_n.jpg

Sorry about the above photo :D But you get the idea :D

I may need a new starter motor as well to fit the flywheel but I will have to see about that :-\

hopefully all that will arrive by friday so I can start putting the gearbox on... worst case I just start making the engine mounts and get the gear selector working...

Looking forward to getting this engine in and working :D

Danny

Administrator
I managed to get an hour in the garage tonight and I wanted to suss the gear selector....

The mgf one did not work... so a rummage about the odds and sods bin gave me this....

20190116_182418.jpg

It will work as a temporary prototype but as soon as I prove it will work perfectly I will make a new one with a few changes..

Also I need to find some rose joint things for the ends as well...

20190116_182958.jpg

Danny

Administrator
Got An hour in the garage today so started fitting the engine mounts.

The 3 pronged one did not fit but a tweak with a big bar I managed to get 2 holes to line up....

20190117_185326.jpg

20190117_185333.jpg

So out came the CAD and I have mocked up a template to make a steel bracket for the 3rd leg....

20190117_185345.jpg

My clutch arrived today but I doubt my flywheel is going to come before the weekend so I will just keep plodding on with making the engine mounts...

I can't see this part taking too long....

Hopefully by next weekend the engine will be in

Danny

Administrator
While I was looking through my old files on an old hard drive I found this....

mojo_03.jpg

This was my screensaver for a long time :D

Any ways I may be doing the screen chop as well...

Danny

Administrator
The ford puma clutch flywheel arrived and to say it is a little scabby is an understatement to be honest. I have taken it to my mate to skim it and tidy it up which we had to do anyway becasue we are fitting a 220mm clutch instead of the OEM 210mm clutch.

I have also decided to make my own Poly engine mounts and so that should make things a bit easier for me :D

I have googled and worked out what I need and for £27 I will have enough liquid urethane to make everyones bushes :D

(is anybody reading this?)

Danny

Administrator
Ordered all my steel for the engine mounts on sunday night... and ordered the Poly urethane stuff on monday and that is coming from Ireland and that is still here before my steel...

If I dont get my steel by tomorrow then I am going to struggling to find stuff to do on friday and saturday

Danny

Administrator
All steel arrived and my flywheel has been skimmed....

Tomorrow I will have the gearbox back together

Danny

Administrator
Well Friday came and I was recovering from man flu so was a slow day.

I decided to tackle the clutch and soon discovered that the flywheel was wrong....
20190125_122950.jpg

So I bolted the gear box up to the engine without the clutch just so I can make a start getting it in the frame.

20190125_160302.jpg

Well it kinder fits but I need to modify it a bit to make.it perfect.

I then spent today trying to get the engine mounted....

I had the sputnick mount fitted and with lots of messing about I decided to change the way I was doing things and made up some solid mounts to just try and get the engine in the right place then I can make proper mounts when I am happy it all works...

Attachments

• 20190126_162844.jpg
    20190126_162844.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7,101

Danny

Administrator
I decided to get a cheap Mig welder to help with tacking stuff up and generally a lot cheaper to use than the Tig welder... so I bought one of these

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/mig130e ... ig-welder/

I only paid £130 for it and it has only been used a couple of times...

Tomorrow I get a full day in the garage again so hopefully I will make some actual progress :D well that is the plan anyway

Danny

Administrator
I got to have a play with the new mig welder :D works pretty well considering I have never really mig welded before :D

Still had to tig some bits up today :D

All engine mounts are made now... so just going round making the properly now :D

Danny

Administrator
A sudden spell in hospital has put a stop to my Mojo build for now..

I am out of hospital but need to rest up and take a step back from 1 or 2 projects as I am burning out :-(

250buggys

Danny":38pm12y9 said:

I am out of hospital but need to rest up and take a step back from 1 or 2 projects as I am burning out :-(

Sorry to hear that, hope you're feeling better.

Did you have an accident with your new MIG welder?

Danny

Administrator
250buggys":3remq3ng said:
Danny":3remq3ng said:

Sorry to hear that, hope you're feeling better.

Did you have an accident with your new MIG welder?

Nope

Viral menningitus

Danny

Administrator
Phaeton":1ba4ov70 said:
I still have those 2 crisp £50 notes, if you want to admit defeat?

I never admit defeat :D

Jane goes away on monday for a few days so I plan on doing 3 days at the garage

Danny

Administrator
I managed a to find a couple of days and the first day I wasted trying to make a mount that was just too difficult to replicate so I changed my idea and went with the following :D

16cd5f74bc2a9c087acdce709f1fab04.jpg
671b798a930505e1ac5aa4eb1716a45c.jpg
580fbfefb8d3966df98c0d1bd53d35b1.jpg
16345c3f208c554c6a1027fdfd6be376.jpg
dace16bb2d7b2b48dd8a2838c395e39e.jpg
a6487fa73d85ca4a29b74962fa765df0.jpg

I have one little weld to dollop on that mount that I realised I missed when I was packing up :-( so I will sort that :D

Once that is all sorted then the engine is supported and all I need to do is make some bushed stabilising mounts to stop the engine swinging about too much :D

once these mounts are finished then the rest of the build should be quite easy.... Well... actually I have to cut the big bar out so that I can fit my standard massive ford inlet manifold... so that maybe an interesting challenge :D

I have also been looking at exhausts and what not and I have a fairly good idea on how I am going to run it and i think I need MX5 exhaust because of the center inlet should make my build easy :D

67-036.jpg

Danny

Administrator
got a few hours in the garage today and got the engine sitton on its mounts....

The rocker box runs level and square to the top chassis rail but from one end of the sump to the other it is out about 3mm of square off the lower chassis rail... frankly it is annoying me but can't see if causing any major issues unless it wears cv joints out...

I also managed to get the sputnic mount made to fit again which is a right result :D I have two more engine mounts left to make then I can draw a line under that part and start getting the car actually driveable