Sylva Mojo build

Danny

Administrator
I have managed to pinch a few hours in the garage over the last few days and I have got the exhaust mounted where I want it.

I have also planned the routing for the exhaust now as well. I need to cut the 3 bolt exhaust flanges off as the bottom one hangs super low under the car so that will just scrape!!!

getting the fibreglass to line up is going to be an absolute nightmare I am sure of it but I will cross that bridge when I get to it :D

Danny

Administrator
Bit of progress
ea96f2a3250ff64aab09068257ec08d2.jpg
0a28e9cea60e50c169981581289b17f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
Been a slow few weeks but I have almost got the garage wired up and lighting sorted :D

All being well by the end of tomorrow I will have that all sorted :D

Danny

Administrator
20190712_203112.jpg

Got about 100mm of pipe to work out then can start tacking and when that is all in I can then cut and fit the flexi

Danny

Administrator
Well I have actually been doing quite a bit on the mojo since I have finished this repairs on the buggy.

I have tacked in the expansion tank and that is now sitting as high as I can get it :D

The exhaust has been an absolute pain in the ass and I have actually redone it again... Well sort of...

I am just waiting on another 90 degree bend to change my cheap chinese one and then I have a flexi I need to weld in and from there I will be happy.... That has been a challenge but taking my time and just tinkering with it has paid off... almost.

Then today I was decided to start looking at my alternator issue and seeing about making up a bracket to move it from the inlet side of the engine to the exhausts side. And after 3 hours of messing about I decided on a place it would work and started working out what I needed to make that happen...

Well I then realised I was confused by which way the water pump needed to go round so headed to faceache and someone commented and linked to the wrong company on facebook and then I soon realised that this mistake company actually was the only company to make a kit that does exactly what i want... Wahhhhhoooooo

I was a little shocked at teh cost £190... however you get an alternator and all the gubbins to make it do what I need so in the grand scheme of things I am quite happy with that.

I just need to sell my old alternator and anything else I can lay my hands on to carry on funding the build :D

I also realised that I cant get in the mojo so I need to find a way of making my steering wheel removable so I can take it off to get in and out... not a bad thing to be honest.

If I play my cards right I may get 2 days on the mojo this week but I really need to settle down and get some work done for aa few days :D

Pics to follow

Danny

Administrator
Well today I got a bit more done on teh damn exhaust and all seems pretty good.

I have tacked it all up and when I released the bolts holding it to the exhaust it sat in the right place still so I know it wwont be under tension like my last attempt.

All I need to do now is cut the straight bit and tack in the flexi pipe...but I miss calculated how many exhaust flanges I need so I need to order 1 more... ffs!!!

After this exhaust bit is finished I will be finished in fabricating stuff other than the odd bracket but I cant see there being many more needed...

So I think I will be soon at a stage to start stripping it all back and getting it ready to go back together properly :D

Danny

Administrator
I got a few more hours in the garage on saturday and got the first part of the flexipipe in and then decided I should mount the silencer on some rubber mounts so that it can move a little more as that can never be a bad thing.

I have thursday and friday left to work on the mojo before xmas so hoping to get the rest of the exhaust finished and then I will be looking at the gear selector and moving the hand brake cables and generally getting ready for the strip down.

Danny

Administrator
I have been looking at quick release steering wheel bosses and car builder solutions one is £54 and Ebay ones are £15...

Quite and important part but I tend to feel that CBS stuff is just over priced ebay tat

Danny

Administrator
Merry christmas

Before christmas I managed to finish the exhaust off. Well it is all tacked up and the hard mounts are now rubber cotton reels and it all moves around exactly how I wanted.

Just need to run the seams up on the joints and then start looking at adding some strength to chassis where I have removed tubes
53d4a605a5773722836411d17a8df2cb.jpg
8664273429a04fee479ff847e3df331b.jpg

Danny

Administrator
Well I have been doing bits the the mojo... mainly welding in bits to the chassis and generally getting ready for the chassis to get some paint so I can start putting it all back together again!!

Danny

Administrator
250buggys":b9894cze said:
Danny are you going with your signature orange framework?
Nah black chassis then grey fibreglass but with orange accents in vinyl

Danny

Administrator
I am busy doing bits but literally it looks like nothing is changing...

I have now got the gear box fitted to the block... I have drilled new holes in the lower part of teh engine block to mount the lower part of the gearbox. This was a challenge to say the least... but I got it right and that is all done...

I ordered a new rockerbox and thermostat housing and that has arrived so I am not worrying about that anymore...

the next big purchase is the cambelt kit... over £100 to do it properly :-0 .... I could just blindly put the engine back in and hope... but I will end up wasting more time doing it later on so I am just going to wait and do it while the engine is out....

I need to paint the chassis but that paint is extortionate so waiting till I cant wait no more....

Danny

Administrator
Believe it or not I have actually been working on the mojo.

So the clutch is in but the dust plate was wrong so I am waiting for one that will fit to arrive so I decided to do the cambelt and water pump as well...

That did not go to plan at all...

I set the engine to TDC and put the crank pin in and took the old belt off and all the pulleys then realised that the camshaft looking tool would not fit and realised that the engine was one revolution out so I had to put it all back together again and turn the engine one more time.

All went well after that until I changed the water pump and the torque setting for the pump was wrong and I stripped the 6mm threads, so I then had to redrill and tap them.

I then realised I had missed to bracing bars in the chassis so I cut and welded them in and set about painting the rear engine part of the chassis and after lots of deliberation I decided to user hammerite paint... POR15 is great but over powdercoat it has a sketchy history. I did not want to strip perfectly good powdercoat off to slap POR15 on so I have gone with hammerite and then over the top of that I will apply a few coats of clear laquer.

I have also flared the ends of my ally water pipes now using my bodged mole grips and it has done a grand job.

I looked at the plumbing of the brake and clutch systems and to be honest I would prefer them to be run in braided hoses but reality is there is not much to gain from it so I leaving them be and also the fuel lines look good as well so they are staying as well...

Once the engine is in for the last time I just have the exhaust to weld up properly and then I can start looking at the front of the car....

Radiator needs brackets making and the front of the car is prone to rot so I am going to make a plastic sheet that I will bond to teh front of the chassi to try and stop as much water getting in as possible. I am not sure how well this will work and what I am going to do about demisters and all that crap but will work it out I am sure.

There are a million and one other jobs that need doing before I even look at getting the crap fibreglass to fit :-\

one thing I have learnt is I am never building another kit car where I have to constantly fabricate and problem solve...

Danny

Administrator
I managed to out today and get a few hours and I decided to tackle the dust plate that goes between the gearbox and the block...

If I used the standard ka plate I would have a big gap which could let in all sorts of crap. So I decided to use another one and weld a bit on...

It works well enough I think....

I have also been piling on the hammerite paint on the rear of the chassis. This will continue for a few more coats yet and then when I feel everywhere has enough I will load it up with clear coat as well:)

I dont feel I am making progress but I must be somehow
d338b6991fbae3bd14ca84b47837c130.jpg
801a4164c0d7c79c8d6f459f65086451.jpg

Danny

Administrator
I finally got the gearbox fitted again and the plate works a treat :D

I also repainted the back of the chassis again with more hammerite... I think I am going to flat it back tomorrow and then clear coat it....

I am not sure what i am doing tomorrow as I have a dispute with a neighbour to resolve so that should be fun

Danny

Administrator
I have finished painting the rear of the chassis and have started painting all the engine mounts and brackets and I am planning next week to get the engine back in the chassis next week.

Once the engine is in for the last time and I finall get the car back on its wheels I need to start looking at finding places to mount things like ECU and radiators etc...

Also need to look at digital dashes. I do have my old acewell from my first build I could use... which worked fine and was simple enough...